Thread: Migrating MSTS

Default Migrating MSTS

For some time, I have run MSTS from an external hard drive. When I purchased a new computer, I just connected the external hard drive to it, and away I went. I re-installed all of the "utilities" (Conbuilder, etc.) on the computer's hard drive. All that is intalled on the external drive is MSTS and TrainStore. All has worked fine--until now.

I am seeing symptoms that the external hard drive may be failing. Before it fails completely, I want to install MSTS on the computer hard drive. This is what I plan to do. Will it work?

1. Use TrainStore to unstore everything on the external hard drive MSTS installation.

2.Install MSTS from CD to the computer.

3. Install MSTS patch 1.4

5. Install MSTSBin 1.6.1

6. Copy all MSTS folders from the external drive to the computer hard drive (overwriting the default files from the new installation).

7. Install TrainStore on computer hard drive.

8. Detach external drive from computer.

9. Run MSTS

What have I omitted/done incorrectly? I have read some of the other (older) posts about this, but I don't want to miss anything. With my external hard drive behaving questionably, I may only have one shot at this.

Suggestions appreciated.

Default RE: Migrating MSTS

>For some time, I have run MSTS from an external hard drive.
    >When I purchased a new computer, I just connected the external
    >hard drive to it, and away I went. I re-installed all of the
    >"utilities" (Conbuilder, etc.) on the computer's hard drive.
    >All that is intalled on the external drive is MSTS and
    >TrainStore. All has worked fine--until now.
    >
    >I am seeing symptoms that the external hard drive may be
    >failing. Before it fails completely, I want to install MSTS
    >on the computer hard drive. This is what I plan to do. Will
    >it work?
    >
    >1. Use TrainStore to unstore everything on the external hard
    >drive MSTS installation.
    >
    >2.Install MSTS from CD to the computer.
    This step not needed, just change your registry to reflect the new drive.
    >
    >3. Install MSTS patch 1.4
    this neither, see above
    >
    >5. Install MSTSBin 1.6.1
    this neither, see above
    >
    >6. Copy all MSTS folders from the external drive to the
    >computer hard drive (overwriting the default files from the
    >new installation).
    thsi should now be step 2
    >
    >7. Install TrainStore on computer hard drive.
    Un-install trainstore first
    >
    >8. Detach external drive from computer.
    >
    >9. Run MSTS
    >
    >What have I omitted/done incorrectly? I have read some of the
    >other (older) posts about this, but I don't want to miss
    >anything. With my external hard drive behaving questionably,
    >I may only have one shot at this.
    >
    >Suggestions appreciated.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Do a search using regedit to find the correct place, search for hwrenderer, just above in the 1.0 you will see 3 paths, just chnage all of the drive letters to C, if that is where you moved it to.

A bit more info that may help. Joe did beat me with the registry changes. Just copy your MSTS to 'whereever' and repointing those few registry entries is the perfect fix; there is no need to actually reinstall.

You will also need to manually repoint all shortcuts such as the edit and run icons. They will still point to the original drive location.

There is one more option open but you need to have some Windows knowledge. Define a partition on the drive you're moving MSTS to ensuring it's large enough to handle MSTS for now and down the road. Copy all the external MSTS 'stuff' to that new partition. Disconnect the external drive and change the drive letter for the new MSTS partition to the same letter you used for the external drive. Doing it this way should allow MSTS to work with no Registry or shortcut change requirements. The external drive could still be used, you can later give it a different letter.

Interestingly, MSTS itself doesn't appear to really need the registry pointing correctly. I use mini-routes and have copied some of them to CDs and without touching the registry have successfully (although somewhat slowly) run activities from the CD version.

I've also worked on activities with the Registry pointing elsewhere but I wouldn't try a Route Edit with it pointing elsewhere but the RE will show a route the Reg isn't pointing at. I just feel the RE is glitchy enough without pushing the limits. ;-)

GaryG

Actually, there is an even simpler option than those posted, but requires money. Get another external (or internal) drive. Copy current external drive files to new one. Unplug old drive and re-boot and the new one should use the same letters as the previous one.

>Define a partition on the drive you're
    >moving MSTS to ensuring it's large enough to handle MSTS for
    >now and down the road.

This is a very cumbersome process to avoid changing 3 registry keys and 3 shortcut references. In the first place, I don't think you can define a new partition unless you backup, re-format, and re-install the OS and all your programs (or Ghost the OS and restore the Ghost image). Partition Magic is supposed to be able to do it, but keep your fingers and toes crossed and be sure you understand ALL the steps BEFORE you start.

Thanks for the advice. The good news is that the suggestion on regedit changes worked fine. The bad news is that my external hard drive failed about 3/4 of the way through the migration process. Fortunately, I had a fairly recent backup to work with, and I believe I copied most of the missing files from it to my hard drive version of MSTS. I didn't do a restore of MSTS from the backup, since I had done a fair amount of work to files since it last backed up my data (about a week's worth). I didn't want to overwrite the newer files in MSTS that made it to the new location. What I don't know is how many of the files that copied from my failing external drive were corrupted by the failure. I've already found a couple.

Tonight I am going to run RouteRiter to see if it picks up any missing or corrupt files. Hopefully, things will be OK.

What I learned:

Of course, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP--especially after you've done a bunch of file modifications. Do not assume any hard drive is immune from failure. The external drive of mine that failed was a well-rated name brand drive less than a year old. Also, be wary of minor signs that may be a symptom of later failure. My external drive spontaneously shut itself off during game play about three times in a week before it failed. I thought it was just a loose power cable. Now I realize it wasn't.

All and all, a pain in the rear. But could have been (and may yet be) worse . . .