Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Sketchup Problems

Default Google Sketchup Problems

Hi everyone,

Today is my first day trying to do some stuff in the Google Sketchup program and I am having problems with the program.

First, I am downloading a object from the 3D wherehouse into the Google Sketchup program and the object is showing up in the program.

Then, I click on the Train simulator sub menu under plug in and I try to save the model to create a .s file for the object to a temp folder, But everytime I try to do this. It comes up with a .s file that has 0 kb. I thought it was suppose to create a .s and .sd file when I click on save. What is the problem here?

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Randy

Default RE: Google Sketchup Problems

Hello Randy,
    When the MSTS plug-in export function finishes, how many polygons does it report the model having? It you do not receive a completion message within a couple of minutes, there is a good chance the model has far to many polygons for use in MSTS.

Take care,
    Rich S.

Here is a update on what is going on Richard and everybody else. I am trying to download the Bucsh stadium from the 3D wherehouse and here are the procedures that is happening.

1. I download the model straight into the sketchup program.

2. I clicked plugs-ins-Train simulator-MS Sim Export

3. I save the model into one of my temp folder.

4. A minute later, A little box comes up and says "Make default .sd file. Click yes or no and I click yes.

5. Then I get a message saying eport finished
    c\documents and settings/compaq owner/desktop/route object/.s

6. I exit the google program

7. I go into the route object folder and I see that a .s and.sd file were created. The .s file is 2223 kb and the .sd file is 1 kb.

Do I have everything correct right now? Do I now move onto the TGATOOLS2 program?

I tried moving onto the TGATOOLS2 program and here is whats going on right now.

1. While the object was still loaded in google sketch, I clicked on the windows menu item and then onto the materials sub item.

2. A dialog box came up and in the dialog box. I made sure the "in model" was check.

3. I right clicked on the material. Some of them are colors, So it wont let me use the "export texture image" link, But for those that did. I was able to save them as a jpg file.

4. Now, I went into my temp folder where I saved the jpg. files and I have all of them that I saved that I could export and save.

Does this sound right to you?

I have 3 Questions now:

1. What does 128 x 363 mean and 236 x 200. I know it is suppose to be 128 x 128 and so forth, But how do I get that like that?

2. When I go into the TGAtools2 program and try to load the JPG file into the program. I click "Load" and I look into my folder, But no JPG. files show up. The only type files that are allowing me to look for in the temp folder are as follows: Targa Image, BMP image, ACE image, and Trainz.

3. Richard, You stated in one of your PM's the following :'Any material that is just a color will need to be created manually". So the question is this. How do I do that?

Hello Randy,
    You will need to use Paint to adjust the size of the jpeg's you saved. Start MSPaint then open the jpeg image, now select the tool that looks like a box with dashed lines. Starting in the upper left hand corner of the image (the cursor will turn into a cross hair) draw a box around your image (dashed lines will appear around the image). One you have the image selected move the cursor to the lower right hand corner until a doubled arrowed cursor. Drag the lower right hand corner toward the upper left hand corner, be sure to watch the lower right hand corner of the status bar as MS Paint will give you a readout of the current pixel size (i.e. 128x128) When you reach 128x128 stop. Now select the image menu option and the attributes sub-menu option. Make sure the radio button under units is selecting pixels, then type 128 in both the width and height edit boxes, click OK, then save the image with a bitmap (.bmp) file extension. You will then be able to open the file using TGATOOL2. You will also have to create the color materials you could not export using MS Paint.

Take care,
    Rich S.

Is MSPaint in google sketchup or a diffrent program in itself?

MSPaint is a Windows program found under accessories.

Now, I believe I am getting somewhere. I was able to load the BMP file into the tgatools2 program. Now what?

I am still not sure what I need to do with the materials that I couldnt export. How do I get them over to the MS paint shop and tgatools2 program.

All I know is I am getting closer.

BTW, When I save the texture. Can I name it anything I wantor what, Because it is asking me to put a texture name in.

I have 4 choices of BMP files and they are monochrome bitmap, 16 color bitmap, 256 color bitmap, and 24 bit bitmap. Which one should I save it under?

NEVER MIND ON THIS QUESTION....What should I do if paint shop only wants to go up to 36 instead of 128?

>7. I go into the route object folder and I see that a .s
    >and.sd file were created. The .s file is 2223 kb and the .sd
    >file is 1 kb.

I too am just starting out with Sketchup; modeling there is easy, but texturing seems more of a challenge, especially trying to use phototexturing. And, even though some Sketchup textures seem to convert successfully, the model won't load in MSTS with them. The Spanish Tile Roof texture is one.

If I am correct in my understanding, your shape file has too many polys to load in MSTS. I believe the limit is 2000. Sketchup is notorious for too many polys, from what I'm told. What I have had to do with large models is to save them in portions, in other words, break the model down into different sections and save them individually. Then, I load each section in the MSTS RE, and re-assemble them there.

Attached is my model of the San Diego Santa Fe Depot; this is half of the building. I am having to break it down even further; each of the towers are about 1800 polys alone.

Jeff

Jeff,

That is one of objects I am interested in at this time.

I am also interested in some skyscrapers and 2 stadiums. (Busch stadium and pro player stadium). The one I am working on right now is the Busch stadium.

Now, I am realizing that I should have started with a small house of some sort. I will probably end up doing it sometime soon, Because Busch stadium is giving me problems as a first object.

Really not sure how to break down the stadium or anything else for that matter.