Thread: White Airplane Shape Overhead

Default White Airplane Shape Overhead

I tried searching the forum for info on this, but couldn't find anything specific to what I'm seeing.

On running the LS&I (Michigan Iron Ore) from Maple Leaf Tracks every minute or so a plain white airplane shape flies overhead, quickly disappearing into the margin of the frame. I think I've seen this before (maybe in the infamous Facing Point Pacific Surfliner).

Any suggestions as to what this is and what to do about it. I can't recall seeing this phenomenon with any other route I run.

In advance, thanks,
    Barry

Default RE: White Airplane Shape Overhead

Hi Barry,

as your post implies that your plane regularily crosses the sky at given intervalls, regardless of your actual position along the route, it cannot be part of the scenery, but it must be part of the weather going on in your virtual sky. Therefore, the first place to look is the environments folder of your route. For the record: I think the first one to include a cloud layer in the form of an airliner passing overhead was Michael Vone on his Albula II route. The concept and its implementation has since been incorporated into various routes.

To get rid of it, you'd have to find out which .ace file in the environment/textures folder actually contains the airplane. In a next step, you'd have to modify any .env file calling for that .ace, by removing all references to it (the clean way of removing it). Or, if you don't feel comfy with editing .env files, you could simply swap the .ace of the airplane with an all transparent .ace of the same name (the quick&dirty way of removing it).

Lukas a.k.a Swissie

Hi Barry; This airplane shape is also in MLT's Kicking Horse Pass V2, and it might be in more of their releases.

Cheers; Chuck F.

Hi Lucas:

Thanks so much for the quick response and fine suggestion. It turns out I am using Albula21WinterClear. In rereading the readme file it references the plane. I found the Aplane.ace file and the following plane parameters in the env file:

world_shader ( BlendATexDiff
    terrain_texslots ( 1
    terrain_texslot ( Aplane.ace 1 0 )
    )
    terrain_uvcalcs ( 1
    terrain_uvcalc ( 1 0 0 0 )
    )
    )

So, I removed 2 lines (see below) and all seems well with nothing but clouds in the friendly skies:

world_shader ( BlendATexDiff
    terrain_uvcalcs ( 1
    terrain_uvcalc ( 1 0 0 0 )
    )

Chuck, check the EnvFiles in your KP2. Look for any Albula weather files. That could be the source of the plane. In checking my KP2 folder there are no plane references and I don't have the problem.

I really appreciate the help in this forum.

Barry

Barry,
    Thanks for that information. I've been trying to get rid of that plane.
    I like those skies, but didn't care much for the plane.

Tom

There is also a flying saucer in one of the Kosmos winter skies as well!

Tom:

You're more than welcome, although the thanks are due to Lukas who pinpointed the source.

And Frank, thanks for the UFO "heads-up". I'll check my various weather add-ons.

Clear skies, gentlemen,
    Barry

Hi Barry,

> You're more than welcome, although the thanks are due to Lukas who pinpointed the source.

You're welcome! When new, that plane was fun for the first few minutes... If anything, then I prefer a hint of a fading contrail somewhere in the clear, blue sky (hint: look above the front end of the leading GP7):

Lukas a.k.a Swissie