Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3DS Max vs. 3DC vs. TSM vs. GMAX - ????

Default 3DS Max vs. 3DC vs. TSM vs. GMAX - ????

So now that GMAX has been released and recognized by the TSM community, does someone care to give any comments on which software is still the best?

It would be really cool if someone did a matrix of the four software bundles with their pros and cons! :)

BTW: Has anyone actually done an MSTS project with GMAX yet?

Brian.

Default RE: 3DS Max vs. 3DC vs. TSM vs. GMAX - ????

>So now that GMAX has been
    >released and recognized by the
    >TSM community, does someone care
    >to give any comments on
    >which software is still the
    >best?

depends a lot on personal opinion...... BUT There are still significant advntages that 3DCanvas has over anything else... including, per object smoothing, good boolean operations and a far far better exporter than the G-Max or TSM ones. As for TSM at least now G-Max has an exporter TSM is no longer the bottom of the pile as far as output quality is concerned.

But then again G-Max costs nothing to use so if someone is on a tight budget or no budget at all, they still have the option to build something with it, even if the output from it isn't great and even if it is as unstable as a ping pong ball balanced on top of a broomstick in a draft. Horses for courses I suppose.....

3DCanvas still has my vote... and before anybody says it, YES I've used all of them.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

I concur.

Yes, I have used all 3 as well. GMAX has them all beat on pretty looks however. She is perdy, aint she?

[Link Expired]
    Pete Willard

http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

[em]So now that GMAX has been released and recognized by the TSM community, does someone care to give any comments on which software is still the best? [/em]

It strongly depends on which of them is most comfortable for you to work with. Since gMax is free and 3DC has free basic version, it might be reasonable to download them both and try which suits you better. :) (3ds Max has workflow very similar to gMax, and TSM...well it's up to the software authors to try and get more customers.. if they think it's not worth the trouble to release a demo... it's their problem, i guess...)

I've used the gmax stuff quite extensively over the last couple of days and it's growing on me. My next project - the Mat'54 (about 75% done now) will be post-processed in Gmax to add some neat functionality to it. But then I'm a 3DSMax bigot, so I kinda like the babyMax - it's somehow strangely familiar.... :-)

http://www.longhurstfamily.com/priva...micon60x60.gif
    Chris Longhurst.
    Euro Loco Pack now on sale : www.christrains.com/eurolocopack.html

I tried 3D Canvas, Train Sim Modeler, and GMAX. TSM is basic 3D modeler. 3DC is better 3D modeler than TSM. GMAX is better 3D modeler than 3DC and TSM. Jeffrey.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-31-02 AT 08:35PM (EDT)[/font][p]>I tried 3D Canvas, Train Sim
    >Modeler, and GMAX. TSM is
    >basic 3D modeler. 3DC is
    >better 3D modeler than TSM.
    >GMAX is better 3D modeler
    >than 3DC and TSM.

G-Max forces you to use smoothing groups and has dreadful texture mapping options... Try doing per object smoothing in it or per vertex smoothing.... it can't do it!

Ok now we got that one out the way, lets try doing an operation adjust to move and size and rotate a texture in real time on the model??? No Ooops! Can't do that either!

OK lets try a UV Remap so that you can have a totally smoothed smokebox and yet not have your texture distorted and rivits stretched at the top.... Ooops! can't do that properly either.

Also try complex boolean operations in it. Again it can't do them properly! ROFL.... Plus the exporter stinks! it only writes .s files. Canvas can output an entirely working model. Oh yes! lets not forget that it ONLY produces .s files no other output, no 3ds no max no raytrace mmmmmmmm looking to be the bottom of the pile here!

Lets not forget that you only get one working view and it has grief when it comes to background working drawings too.

Stability! who needs stability when you can use G-Max that falls over at the drop of a hat.

Basically G-Max is a big pile of doggy doo!! The only advantage G-Max has is that it's free. So I suppose if somebody really needs their 3D software to cost nothing then G-Max has it all. It's great for making figures to run round in Quake... But it aint what's needed for building trains.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Okay - so we now know that Fozzybear isn't a huge fan of 3DStudio :-)

(that's all g-max is - a cut-down version of Max).

The reason it doesn't do a lot of the stuff Fozzybear is talking about is because it's a multipurpose modeller designed for all comers. TSM is designed specifically for TrainSim modelling. Try to get TSM to pull off some of the tricks 3DS has up its sleeve and you have the same arguments but the other way around :-)

http://www.longhurstfamily.com/priva...micon60x60.gif
    Chris Longhurst.
    Euro Loco Pack now on sale : www.christrains.com/eurolocopack.html

MikeBrobst Guest

Don't forget also, who is more open to it's users suggestions of what they want in an update....Abacus (TSM) or Discreet (GMAX) ?
    ---Mike Brobst---
    [MARQUEE direction ="right"]
    [Link Expired]
    [/MARQUEE]
    ---Toledo, OH---

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-02 AT 12:15PM (EDT)[/font][p]Chris, you miss Fozzy's point: he's not advocating TSM either. . .it doesn't do those things. 3DCanvas does, and does it wonderfully. 3DCanvas is a general purpose 3D modeller! You can export your models to .3ds, directX, lightwave, autocad, popular raytracing programs, etc., and you can import from these formats (and more!) as well.

troub
    [link:pages.sbcglobal.net/msts-ic|MSTS: Illinois Central]