Thread: Yet another transparency problem.

Default Yet another transparency problem.

Hi guys,

been doing first early geometry test for msTS port of Acela passenger cars, when ran into strange problem. See yourself.

watch the seats in the coach:

[Link Expired]

now you see it...

[Link Expired]

still can see it...

[Link Expired]

and now you don't. :o

as far as i can tell, msTS stops rendering seats surface when the camera is looking toward the Y+ edge of the coach. As soon as it starts looking at Y- half, the seats are back.

The surface is alpha-mapped to get more accurate shape, so are the windows (both outside and inside) I've tried different ways of sorting with various priorities, but this doesn't seem to change anything.

I can fix it by simply disabling alpha mapping for the seats, and the visual difference isn't that big... just curious if anyone knows what may cause that.

Default RE: Yet another transparency problem.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-02 AT 10:36AM (EDT)[/font][p]>I can fix it by simply
    >disabling alpha mapping for the
    >seats, and the visual difference
    >isn't that big... just curious
    >if anyone knows what may
    >cause that.

Yes.... If you use Alpha mapping it must be transparent NOT translucent on interior objects....

The exterior windows can be translucent and have a grey level in the alpha chanel. But you MUST use a transparent Alpha Mapping on anything that is internal. Otherwise you get this effect.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Default RE: Yet another transparency problem.

Thanks... i gave it a quick try (set the material for seats to Transparent, and re-exported... tried with old 32-bit image map and new version with just 1-bit alpha channel) but it didn't change a thing. :( I'll try again later if i find some free time...