Thread: 3DC - Frame Axis Question

Default 3DC - Frame Axis Question

Ok, this is a bit complicated: I'm finishing up my loco, merging & linking everything, but that raises a problem: I want the loco to drive short hood forward, and that requires the blue pointer of the frame-axis to point forward (right?). Rotating using the Shift tool is an option, but then all my linked stuff (quite a lot) won't rotate with the main node. Hmm, how to get the arrow to line up with the driving direction ?

Cas
    [link:www.cas2k2.host.sk/nsroutes|NSRoutes]

Default RE: 3DC - Frame Axis Question

Hold either Shift, Alt, or Control (I don't remember which off the top of my head, but by trying each one you should figure out pretty quickly which one selects all objects in a particular hierarchy) and select (click on) an object that is part of your locomotive, and the whole collection of objects should be selected. Then use the Shift Operation to rotate everything 180 degrees (around the Y axis).

This should do the trick (unless you can't understand my rambling :-) ).

troub
    [link:pages.sbcglobal.net/msts-ic|MSTS: Illinois Central]

Hmm, can't get it to work, tried Crtl/Alt/Shift clicking on MAIN- and other objects but it only selected one object....

Cas

Maybe you could group the Main object to the bogies and then group the wheels, in effect you would have on large object. Rotate the train and then ungroup everything when you have finished rotating. But don't use your attach command, there should be a command in the program that allows you to temporarily combine multiple objects...

This is kwk100, and I'm 10-10 on the side

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pi...apolis_sml.jpg
    [font size = "0"]David E Miller Collection: www.hankstruckpictures.com/trucks.htm[/font]

Ah, found it: Right-click on the MAIN object, and choose 'Select Hierarchy' - results in all the linked objects being selected too.

Cas

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-02 AT 11:51AM (EDT)[/font][p]
    >then all my linked stuff
    >(quite a lot) won't rotate
    >with the main node. Hmm,
    >how to get the arrow
    >to line up with the
    >driving direction ?

Not at all complicated to do when you know how......

Right click on the object that you have defined as "Main" (everything else is or should be sub-grouped under main) and then click "Select Hierarchy" this will then select all of your components as one selection.

If everything isn't sub grouped under "Main" then it should be... do an export and re-save the file after the export completes and all your groups should now be living in the right place sub grouped under main.

Hope that helps....

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Ahhhhh! looks like you found it while I was typing this... LOL :)