Thread: A change from US heavy metal, something Downunder - NZR style

Default A change from US heavy metal, something Downunder - NZR style

Note the steam blow-off ;-)

[Link Expired]
    Don't let the computer WIN!

Default RE: A change from US heavy metal, something Downunder - NZR style

Cap, just how did you do that? I would like to know more about this.

[Link Expired]
    http://coloradocar.webhop.org/
    Bring Narrow Guage to Life!
    Adam Parsons
    [email protected]

Forgot to say. Fozzy, maybe we can get it to work on the genorator on the K-36.

[Link Expired]
    http://coloradocar.webhop.org/
    Bring Narrow Guage to Life!
    Adam Parsons
    [email protected]

Did somebody say...

http://www.mooreaction.com/Heavy%20M...yMetallogo.jpg

sorry, couldn't resist...

[Link Expired]
    http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/ru...coolgleamA.gif -ΔĶ₣Я∑

I was going to explain this in the previous post but got interrupted by the real world.

As with so many things in this sim the discovery was accidental. I was working on one iteration of my current steam loco project, tweaking the ENG file. When I tested the ENG I was very surprised to notice a plume of steam shooting up from the spot near the pressure valve (not quite spot on, but a good guess). The plume and distinctive sound lasted about 10 - 15 seconds. It was a moment before I twigged what it was. But why, I wondered, did it blow off steam, when I've never seen it happen before during a steam driving session?

In a rare flash of inspiration I realised that in the loco ENG the loco's PSI rating is set in the Wagon section, in the line:

" MaxBoilerPressure ( 230psi ) " (Ignore quotes)

Further on in the ENG the steam pressure rate is mentioned again in the variable settings, where the locomotive status is set up for the begining of an activity, in the section:

" comment(fire temp, fire mass, water mass, boiler pressure,
    water level, tender_water_mass, tender_coal_mass,
    smoke_quantity, fire_condition, coal quality )

EngineVariables( 775 1650 2500 240 0.8 21500 8960 350 1 1 ) " (Ignore quotes)

By setting the boiler pressure variable to 240 (PSI) the pressure differential is 10 psi, enough to trigger the valve to vent off excess steam pressure.

This will only occur at the start of an activity, because once the boiler pressure drops below the trigger point the valve will not activate again unless the pressure rises above 230 PSI and allowing for the figure in line:

" SafetyValvePressureDifference( 5 ) " (Ignore quotes)

I assume that the 5 refers to the trigger pressure (PSI) above the boiler pressure rating of 230 PSI, hence setting the start up variable to 240 PSI causes the blowoff.

During the course of a driving session I believe the auto fireman will never raise the boiler pressure above its rated value, hence no blow-off. A manually fired loco might raise the pressure to the point of blow-off.

Clever Kuju; and I just thought it was another item non-working in this version.

Hmmmmmmmm. Now what the heck does the 'Drain pipe' do?

Sorry - I don't believe it's possible for a genny steam plume, MS please note for v 2.0!

Don't let the computer WIN!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-02 AT 05:18AM (EDT)[/font][p]>As with so many things in
    >this sim the discovery was
    >accidental. I was working on
    >one iteration of my current
    >steam loco project, tweaking the
    >ENG file. When I tested
    >the ENG I was very
    >surprised to notice a plume
    >of steam shooting up from
    >the spot near the pressure
    >valve (not quite spot on,
    >but a good guess).

Yup Bazza your assumptions about the trigger level are spot on.... I had seen this before because I tend to run steam locomotives with a manual fireman. Thus as in the real world I sometimes (Gulp, too often actually..) get it wrong and end up with the safety valves lifting.

Just as an aside... did you know that in the real world, at least in the UK a fireman could get fined by the company he was working for, for having the safety valves lift while he was in a station!! (thus wasting steam).

And Adam, sorry to tell you this but Bazza is right about it not being suitable for use as a steam plume for the generator.... Sorry.... already investigated that one.. Still havn't got that damned drain pipe parameter to work either :( Race ya to it Bazza LOL :)

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
    [Link Expired]