Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about locomotive/rollingstock requests

Default about locomotive/rollingstock requests

first off coming from experience in starting my first locomotive, this process takes time. ALOT of time if you have other things to do in life such as work and life outside trains (as much as i'd like to do only trains i have to pay bills like the rest of us, other modellers can vouch for this too).

An engine can take anywhere from a week or two up to many months to do dending on several factors..... time available to work on the project, skill of the modeller, amount of resources available to model the engine. making models for trainsim isn't as easy as swicthing on the kitchen light. diesels are easier to make than steam engines but getting a train in the game requires many steps to get there.

First, research of the model say for instance an sd70m, takes ALOT of time to gather. getting dimensions, (even general height, width and length) can be like pulling teeth if there isn't alot of resources. height and width on engines are not easy to come by... then getting pictures to reference to model details. whether it be internet photos you look at, photos in books, or photos you take getting all the approrpraite detail shots can take a while, some even have to be improvised on engines because they were rare (like alco Pa's, or not frquently documented, like UP's 9000 4-12-2 steam engie class) because there is such a lack of photos of them.

after the research is done THEN the modelling starts. this can take a while depending on the modelling program and skill of the modeller. I myself am not "professional skill" but know more about modelling than most people who do TS stuff, so this part is not too hard for me personally. that being said hwoever, being able to model with poly count in mind and knowing when to fake with textures takes a while because you have to plan ahead so you know which details to omit 3d wise and texture them in....... after that is the most time consuming part, mapping textures.

i haven't gotten this far on my locomotive, but i do know that when done properly, takes ALOT of time. mapping textures for each image effectively so you dont have 50 image files also makes things a tad harder but is worth the time because the engine loads faster and is more frame rate friendly with fewer texture files to load... alsoe if you have any alpha (transparency) channels in your textures. after this is done, most modellers paint the engine in a livery, this also takes a great deal of time....

then the engine is ready to be made ready for train-sim...... this part is where it gets complicated to some and even some experienced modellers have thier hands full here if the engine is complex like for instance an artilulated steam engine. ALOT of parts have to be animated and linked properly in the model so they work in the game for a steam engine to work right in teh game, and even dieseld have to have thier wheels animated. the file also then has to be converted to an .s and .sd file format and LOD's added (if you want good framerates with high poly engines) and adding lod's is also time consuming, espically with fincky gmax which loves to crash when doing lod's from what i have heard....

even yet the engine isn't done, then it has to be beta tested.. once the model works, then the engine has to have lights added, a GOOD engine file created so it runs as close to the real thing as possible, and cabview and sounds done (most modellers dont do these, but those who do the process drags out even longer)...... even if more than one person works on the cabview and sounds, it takes a while to do them........... after ALL this "schpeal" is done THEN then engine makes into the file library so you can use it.

making rollingstock is also a very similar and just as time consuming process...

as you can see making an engine or train car for msts is not easy, so please bear that in mind when making requests for new models, many people (like myself) have so many backed projects we wont take requests...... and if someone does tackle a request you make, PLEASE BE PATIENT....

it may be several weeks or months (more than likely months) before the model is ready for the masses, making models isn't like repainting which can be done in a few days, it takes alot of resources to do it, and cannot be done overnight......

many people here do this for free so please do not pressure someone to make a new model, remember they are just requests not demands....

and for those that do charge for thier models, making suggestions for new engines and rollingstock products is not bad, but keep in mind most payware places already have planned what they want to do MANY months ahead of when you made your request so DONT expect it to happen. Many people who do this for free also are like this as far as schedules go and also dont take requests

but dont feel shunned out, your model may be made in time :) maybe not for 6 months or a year, but it may be done........ so if it isn't done now, wait a bit, it just might be :)

again PLEASE be patient if your request is honored, this process takes a while!
    [Link Expired]

Hauling America one pixel at a time
    [Link Expired]

Bill Hemb; train sim repainter
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3793/tmdlogotsfww6.jpg

Bill Hemb - Texas Western Railway CEO and CMO of the Trainsim Motive Division

Default RE: about locomotive/rollingstock requests

Very well said. :)

That's a well reasoned and presented post, Bill.

I can vouch for the time. I was asked to do a Port Stanley Terminal Railway Whitcomb 50t switcher because I made the 25t GE on the same line. I thought,"OK, I can do that fairly easily", so off I go only to discover that I didn't yet know how to properly animate a diesel with connecting rods (I do now) or that there was a dirth of good photos of the right side of the locomotive in question. Two weeks later I'm now finishing up the interior and I'll probably have to rework some of the textures. I still haven't started the eng file and the most time consuming part of that, setting the lighting. Don't get me wrong, it's been fun or I wouldn't be doing it but it is taking time and there now is another project I'd like to get started on but I don't want to leave this one 85%+ finished so I'll get it done and then onto the next project. BTW, don't ask for a while because, I'm sorry, I'm going to be busy for probably the next month or so.

Excuses, excuses, I want it NOW!!! But seriously...

Agreed, no project is easy. I'm getting into the modelling game now and have started learning Train Sim Modeller 1.1 and if I can ever get 3D Canvas to work. Start small and work up is all I can say.

Wink Team work

I have done many TS projects that appeal to me, as well as doing requests for others, provided I'm interested in the subject and good resources and cooperation are offered in return.

Cheers Bazza

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBazza View Post
    I have done many TS projects that appeal to me, as well as doing requests for others, provided I'm interested in the subject and good resources and cooperation are offered in return.

Cheers Bazza
    please do not dig up really old posts thanks

Ryan, learn to show some respect... He was just complimenting his work. Plus Bazza is a very experienced MSTS modeler himself, he just recently re-activated his account since the DCFourum to vBulletin software upgrade. Just because you have more posts doesn't mean you can boss people around, we had this issue with ego inflation by way of post count meters at the old one until Nels figured out how to turn 'em off.

I've been searching in VAIN for a freeware Union Pacific ES44AC or DC. Could someone make it, but in two skins: regular, and Building America? Sorry if this is off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldReif View Post
    I've been searching in VAIN for a freeware Union Pacific ES44AC or DC. Could someone make it, but in two skins: regular, and Building America? Sorry if this is off topic.
    HI there here http://www.meanslocoworks.com/maswmodels.htm for the up gevo. its free ware.