Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSM installation on XP x64: A "how to" guide.

I'm not sure about that. I have heard of folks having problems with that, but I NEVER allow TSM to compress my .S files directly, because I like to correct some of the errors TSM conversion leaves/created (in a Unicode editor) before compressing, so I'm not sure. Doesn't TSM look to the MSTS directory for doing some of it's conversions (like if you have it make the .ACE files from the textures, it looks at "MakeACE" in the "../Train Simulator/UTILS" directory - another thing I don't leave up to TSM), so I suppose it's possible that the .S file compression makes use of something like that too, and if it's not finding the correct routine, it may fail.

There are plenty of options for compressing .S files (that I'm sure are better than allowing TSM to do it anyway). Why not just skip the step and use one of those other compression routines? There's Shape File Manager, Compiler/De-Compiler, Route Riter (which is probably overkill for just compressing .S files), and a few other utilities I'm sure you can find in the File Library.

Steve

Thank you Kurt.

Just to let everyone interested know; this procedure also works when using Windows 8.1. I had the luxury of having two screens, and was able to use my "old" XP system and the new one side by side. Seeing how the register was set up on the XP system, and using the procedure above, made it very easy to adjust the register on the Windows 8.1 system.
    Be advised though that changes to the register can not be easily undone (no undo function), and it is advisable to make a backup of the register before making any changes.
    Thanks Kurt, for making this available!

Greetings, René

Possibly a simpler method that doesn't involve a 32-bit system nor fiddling with the Registry:
    "Installing Train Sim Modeler into 64-bit OS by Gerald "Ged" Saunders".
    Yuri, Former Charter Member
    Webmaster, The steam4me site MSTS Tutorials & AU Add-Ons
    http://msts.steam4me.net

This Whole thread should be promoted to a Tutorial in the Library, with the title revised to indicate that it works with XPX, Win7 and Win8.
    Paul.

Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Thank you Kurt.