Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Those of you wanting to repaint

Default RE: Those of you wanting to repaint

what if you are going to repaint a custom train that you downloaded?

I'd like so help on doing renumbers for my own use.

You know, if people would just listen and read then they wouldn't have to ask these questions continuously. People, you can't just jump on here and expect a complete answer to reskinning. There isn't enough room. Read those suggestion documents as posted in the earlier replies. They will answer all or most of your questions. Then if you have a specific question, by all means ask it and someone here will answer it, but a general statement of "How do I repaint this or that" is just not going to be answered other than by pointing you to the numerous files and documents already written and readily available here and on other sites.
    And remember, as Chuck pointed out. Make sure you are not infringing on copyrited material. You can't just grab any engine and reskin it and put it up for downloads here. You can use it on your own machine, but that's about all. And if you are given permission make sure that you give the credit to the originator of the unit you are reskinning.
    Finally, be careful when you are just doing a renumber of something that you have permission to use, some of these engines use the alpha channel to put the number board number on. In that case you would send the alpha channel to your paint program and change the number on there, but make sure it is in the exact same postition as the one you are changing and that you are using the 0,0,0 color for the number. Just something infrequently mentioned in the above repainting manuals and documents.
    But please read them first and then if you have a question by all means ask it. There is not enough room here to explain all the details of reskinning. That's why there are documents already made for you to use!

Practice Practice, and more practice. That's how you learn to reskin! And use a good, I repeat, good, paint program, it will save you a lot of headaches. I recommend Paint Shop Pro! Easiest to use. Not free but you can get some of the older versions for almost nothing now!

Good luck with your reskinning though! :) :)

Is there such a thing as a Free repainting program?

>Is there such a thing as a Free repainting program?

Yes there is. Have a look at GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

>Finally, be careful when you are just doing a renumber of
    >something that you have permission to use, some of these
    >engines use the alpha channel to put the number board number
    >on. In that case you would send the alpha channel to your
    >paint program and change the number on there, but make sure it
    >is in the exact same postition as the one you are changing and
    >that you are using the 0,0,0 color for the number. Just
    >something infrequently mentioned in the above repainting
    >manuals and documents.

Bump.

Just thought I'd mention that I find that somewhere around 20,20,20 - 25,25,25 color for the transparency (assuming you're doing windows) works GREAT for simulating glass. The clearer you want it, the higher the number (obviously)..but I wouldn't really advise goign beyond 50,50,50.

Oh, and, I'm back.

>>Is there such a thing as a Free repainting program?
    >
    >Yes there is. Have a look at GIMP.
    >
    >http://www.gimp.org/
    >
    >http://www.gimp.org/windows/
    >

GIMP works, though I find my -favorite- program to repaint skins would be JASC Paint Shop Pro. I prefer 7.04, it's fast, and easy to use, without all sorts of useless plugins. And it works great with alpha channels.

Why is there so much anger and ignorance in the replies? I'm an over the trucker and I hear truck complain the all truckers don't run with their c.b. radio on and as they come up on to a traffic jam the fisrt thing they say is "whats goin on?" Then someone will complain about the repeated question, which they really don't have to answer anyway. We're suppose to learn from those that know how to do it and want to share the knowledge to others. Some of us (yes me to) may not catch on as quick, and may not know where to look for the hand to point by point instructions. My future project is to take the spline car set and figure out how to replace all 3 of the trailers for containers. But if I have to get knowledge from those with replies starting like that (use your head) i'd rather spend a couple of years doing trail and error.

Why is there so much anger and ignorance in the replies? I'm an over the trucker and I hear truck complain the all truckers don't run with their c.b. radio on and as they come up on to a traffic jam the fisrt thing they say is "whats goin on?" Then someone will complain about the repeated question, which they really don't have to answer anyway. We're suppose to learn from those that know how to do it and want to share the knowledge to others. Some of us (yes me to) may not catch on as quick, and may not know where to look for the hand to point by point instructions. My future project is to take the spline car set and figure out how to replace all 3 of the trailers for containers. But if I have to get knowledge from those with replies starting like that (use your head) i'd rather spend a couple of years doing trail and error.

[Link Expired]

This links not working, is it any different from the UK link ?
    Don't Try to beat me. I DON'T stop on a dime.
    Engineer/Conductor UP RR
    Bailey Yard (World's Largest)
    North Platte,NE