Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DXT1 vs ZLIB Rendering

Default RE: DXT1 vs ZLIB Rendering

Thanks for the info and link.. prompted me to do a couple of tests. The ACE files I refer to are 24-bit basic RGB (no alpha), 24-bit with 8-bit alpha support and DXT1 compressed. I took screen shots using basic, alpha, -trans and DXT1 examples. To my eyes, DXT1 still produces a superior image and is the clear winner, basic and -trans pretty much tied for 2nd place and 8-bit alpha just pitiful. Here are the results:

Hugh

Thanks for the info and link.. prompted me to do a couple of tests. The ACE files I refer to are 24-bit basic RGB (no alpha), 24-bit with 8-bit alpha support and DXT1 compressed. I took screen shots using basic, alpha, -trans and DXT1 examples. To my eyes, DXT1 still produces a superior image and is the clear winner, basic and -trans pretty much tied for 2nd place and 8-bit alpha just pitiful. Here are the results:

Hugh

Thanks for the clarification.. confirms my own conclusions to use DXT1 wherever possible, there being many advantages to doing so (not least of which a more pleasing image rendering) with little or no downside.
    Hugh

Thanks for the clarification.. confirms my own conclusions to use DXT1 wherever possible, there being many advantages to doing so (not least of which a more pleasing image rendering) with little or no downside.
    Hugh

The only real downside to using DXT1 in MSTS is the loss of fine detail. This is more noticeable if your source texture has sharp lines between very different colors or "single pixel" detail.
    ...rich

The only real downside to using DXT1 in MSTS is the loss of fine detail. This is more noticeable if your source texture has sharp lines between very different colors or "single pixel" detail.
    ...rich

You guys pretty well hit the nail on the head of what any painter will learn once they start using weathered textures.

You guys pretty well hit the nail on the head of what any painter will learn once they start using weathered textures.

How to repaint a DXT1 compressed .ACE file in tgatool2??

Load ACE image into TGATool2
    On the TGATool2 Menu > Image > Send Main Image to Editor. (I use GIMP.)

regards
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"