Thread: I apologize for the newbie-like questions, but...

Omellette Guest

Default I apologize for the newbie-like questions, but...

...I have to be honest, and admit that I have no idea where to begin here.

I would like to learn how to use the route editor, to generate new routes over new terrain, but I just have no idea where to begin. So, if anyone could answer some questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

First of all, I see that topozone.com has some great maps, but is there a place where I can get this info for free? I don't like the idea of having to spend almost $200 just for a fun leisure-time activity.

Secondly, how is this type of data fed into the terrain editor? Do the maps all default to a level height where I have to edit the heights manually, or is there some way to import this topographical data automatically? I understand that it has to be massaged once the track is laid out, but is there some way to avoid having to start with an almost completely blank canvas?

I guess with the sheer lack of "official" information, I just don't know where to begin. I even tried to just fire up the editor, but once I get to this expanded world map, I don't know how to move past that point...

Thanks in advance for any help. :-)

Default RE: I apologize for the newbie-like questions, but...

Don't worry about asking a newbie question, I was until yesterday when I jumped in and taught myself a lot. Before you can build a route you need to go the route geometry selection and create it. Start it up and then select help and find the section on how to create a new route. Follow the steps.

As for laying track. You begin with a flat world and I haven't gotten into changing eleveation yet. My plan is to lay track than go back and change elevations and then add buildings. Don't know if this is correct or faulty, guess I will learn.

The only keys I use are the T, arrow keys and then right clicking the mouse. Go to http://communities.msn.com/TheMSTS2x...naventryid=111 as this has some tips.

Later

David

Omellette Guest

Default Thank you for the info!

I'll look at that help file tonight, and see how it works...

Still looking for map info, though...

Default RE: Thank you for the info!

Do you have Microsoft Streets? That is what I use to get Lat and Longs of certain points along the railroad. Then what I do is go that point in my route and plant a tree, literally. I then connect the points. I place the trees at turnouts and direction changes.

I don't remember the name of the company, but they sold copies of track layouts put out by the railroads. I have all of the IC. That stuff is probably on the net now.

David