Thread: Disapearing Rail

KWAiRT Guest

Default Disapearing Rail

I am having a wierd problem with the RAIL on the track dissapearing in some sections of my track. The track is there but does not show up in first persion (Shift+1). This only happens in some places of my track. First of all there is no gap in the track and second there is no brushes touching the track. I have spent lots of time trying to make sure nothing is touching the track. The wierd thing is when I use the engine controls like throttle or any button that causes info to pop up the tracks appear. So if I am adjusting brakes etc etc the track appears fine. Just some sections it chooses to dissapear. It would be nice if one of the level designers would give us some tips and tricks and things not to do and maybe some answers to common problems. At this point I am frusterated I can't fix my problems.

KWAiRT Guest

Default RE: Disapearing Rail

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-01 AT 03:52AM (EST)[/font][p]Just figured I would slap up a picture of this problem that while it seems related to the entire track disapearing but is actually different. The track is perfectly visible in all other cameras. Also when I use a cab control from this view the rail does come back and then disapears once the cab control overlay is gone for whatever adjustment you just made.

[Link Expired]

RailroadKing Guest

Are you sure your track is layed out at 0 elevation over level terrain? If not, delete the track and before you lay it back down press Y (it think its Y, check the help section) to level the terrain under the track. Then when you lay that track be sure you adjust it so it is 0 elevation. It is possible it could be -00001 or something and it may cause it to do what you are experiencing.

KWAiRT Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-01 AT 06:37AM (EST)[/font][p]Yes I have checked it many times. I also replaced the track and checked it again. After that did not work I even set the terrain tool width to 25 and went over the entire track again. At this point I was thinking the same thing so I went over it slowly manually checking for brushes intersecting with the track. I am now wondering if this is a memory issue due to poor terrain design or something. Also I do not beleive the track has to be layed at any specific elevation because if that was the case you would not be able to do any grades. Just for the record though this track was layed at 0 elevation, is completely flat, and there are no gaps in the track.

KWAiRT Guest

Well after doing some tests on my bridge clipping problem I realized it was tied togeather with the dissapearing rail because whenever I had a cab control overlay visible on the screen from adjusting the throttle or something the dissapearing rail always worked but only until the overlay dissapeared.

[Link Expired]

I stumbled upon which actually appears to be a bug when I realized I had my HUD on when I was testing my bridge and both the clipping problem and the dissapearing rail did not show up. Problem solved keep your HUD on this is a bug =)

[Link Expired]