Thread: Doing better but PLEASE help me get rid of the Putt Putt grass!

romerails Guest

Default Doing better but PLEASE help me get rid of the Putt Putt grass!

OK, a week has passed since my intial disaster and I am now putting the final touches on an 18 mile shortline. But it wasn't easy.

My question: How do I select a different terrain texture? Only one shows up in the texture window. I can 'insert' a new one into the selector window but for the life of me I cannot get it onto or into the editor and my route.

I have managed to conquer every other bug and problem I have encountered but this one has me stumped. Can someone PLEASE help me with this one? I am tired of looking at the putt-putt grass everywhere.

Default RE: Doing better but PLEASE help me get rid of the Putt Putt grass!

I'm assuming by your post that in the texture window you can get more than one texture shown. Each one should have a number (1,2, etc.) To change the texture on the ground, select the mode button on the bottom row, second from the left (I think it's called the terrain brush or something like that.) This should cause a grid to appear on the ground, you might have to move the camera skyward a bit to see it good. Now, with that grid on the ground, click the mouse on a grid square and a red box should show in that square. That means the square is selected and now just key in the number of the texture you want that square to be.

Good luck!

ceo492 Guest

But what if you DON'T see more than just the #1 green grass texture? =o) As is my case...

Kern - CEO492

RailroadKing Guest

Same here, I am only able to see one texture and thats the green.

ldugmore Guest

To get more textures into the texture select window, select "Edit", "Insert" (in the Texture Select window) and then point to the TERRTEX directory. Select the textures you want, click on "Open" and they'll be displayed in the texture select window.

It looks like only 12 can be displayed at a time (I couldn't increase the size of the window) and the first 9 are numbered 1 thru 9. Pressing the 'Q' key will advance the numbering system so you can select the last 3 textures ... keep pressing Q (or Shift-Q) to get the numbers back to the first 9 textures. Not the most intuitive design I've ever come across!!!

In your route design window, highlight the tile you want textured and then press the number of the texture to "paste" it onto the tile. If you right-click the tile you can then do copy / paste, rotate, mirror, etc.

Hope this helps.

Lindsay

RailroadKing Guest

Yes that helps for sure! Now I just need to put the TerrTex files from Marias Pass in the TerrTex directory of my new route and I should be all setup.

simbisi Guest

It is possible to display more than 12 textures in the texture window, and it is by sure sizeable.

Just click on this window in the upper area to make it active, then move your pointer to the very right/down edge of the window (you've got to do it very precize), click and drag like you are used to it from Windows. Now you can see all the textures you imported with the insert command. I've got already more than 18 of them.

I'm playing around with satellite pictures. And it works really well as a template for building tracks. I think that later it will be better to use less textures in order to keep the performance high during gameplay.