Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug report for XTracks

Default RE: Bug report for XTracks

Surely that should be cow and pig?

>I could have called them pig and cow (though David would not
    >have been impressed).

I might be amused, depending on how the mood struck, but I am hard pressed to imagine what could possibly get either pig.s or cow.s included in the standardized file.

As cryptic as the file naming may seem at first glance, once you get the hang of it, it is fairly easy to find what you are looking for.

Besides, we already have a cow.s :+ :+ :+

Martyn T. Griffin
    [email protected]
    http://www.geocities.com/tcmrrc/

Martyn T. Griffin

Are we starting a pig & cow thread here?

Getting back on track (pune intended).
    If Geoff is indeed correct about Mikes suggestion for doing the ties and ballast as separate textured layers with the ties sligthly above the ballast I don't think it would work.

I made experiments with similar techniques a year ago but the way MSTS handles drawing of tracks prevented success.
    Have a look at this recent thread: [Link Expired]
    [table border='0'][tr][td]
    [font size='2' face='Verdana' color='#990000']
    //Okrasa
    Chief Engineer
    okrasaghia @ yahoo.com
    http://www.geocities.com/okrasaghia
    http://www.geocities.com/okrasaghia/XTracks
    [/font][/td][td]
    [Link Expired]
    [/td][/tr][/table]
    /Okrasa

>Besides, we already have a cow.s :+ :+ :+

Yeah, but its listed in the .REF file and goes in the \route\shapes\ folder, we were talking about the \global\tsection.dat file and a cow.s that would go in the \global\shapes\ folder. ;-)

Hello Okrasa,

I looked at this thread and remembered that I did already before. When I read this I noticed that one problem were substituted by another. I think that is not the way to make MSTS getting closer to the real world (I think that is what all of us are looking for).
    As you wrote yourself, the problem of disappearing shadows comes up and disturbs the illusion. So I thought, why not to catch this problem by its root, and that is merging both ballast and ties in one level. I surely believe if you devide these in two layers the track pieces never would work together with Kuju's basic stuff. Thats another problem. So excuse me, I'm not familiar with creating objects, but it should be possible to tell one layer - i.e. the ties, because its closer to the rails - to be the basic one, which means it will proper connect with its neighbour. So the ballast would be only additional stuff that has nothing to do with the connecting procedure.

But it is only an idea.

Mike

P.S. Okrasa, regarding our private communication, why do you wait for an email, don't you have THEIR email?

Unless you want some static track and try putting it into the routes shape folder!

Martyn T. Griffin
    [email protected]
    http://www.geocities.com/tcmrrc/

Martyn T. Griffin

We've got cows.....

Where's the tornado?

Dividing the ballast and ties in layers does not help.
    Maybee if you do the ties without alpha layers, that is single ties separately textured but then the FPS is bound to take a hit and I don't want to think of the process of creating all the track sections with individual ties.
    You see the sim only draves the alphaed textured of one of the sections when overlapped. I think it decides which to draw by the order they were layed in, it does not matter which one is above the other. Yes it is real weird all this. The connecting procedure is something completely different from the shape, that is defined in the tsection.dat.

About the e-mail, I'm not waiting for one. I don't expect to be contacted neither do I think an e-mail from me would lead to anything. Though if they want to contact me they can do that.
    [table border='0'][tr][td]
    [font size='2' face='Verdana' color='#990000']
    //Okrasa
    Chief Engineer
    okrasaghia @ yahoo.com
    http://www.geocities.com/okrasaghia
    http://www.geocities.com/okrasaghia/XTracks
    [/font][/td][td]
    [Link Expired]
    [/td][/tr][/table]
    /Okrasa

The confusion (and I'm not saying who's got it wrong) is with the definition of left and right when on bends. The way it should be considered is which way the normal route goes (ie points/switch in the normal position) and which way the turning off route goes (ie points/switch in the reverse position). If, when looking at the common/toe end of the point, both tracks curve to the right, some might consider that a right. But if the normal route is to the extreme right, then it could be considered a *left* hand switch, since the deviating route goes to the *left* of the main route.

See attached pic. Are they both right-hand switches just because they curve to the right? Or is the first a right-hand switch and the second a left hand switch because of the path of the main, normal position route?

Geoff M.