Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving the pusher

Default Driving the pusher

I did a search on "pusher" and "helper" before posting this. "Pusher" gives me one hit and "helper" gives me a bunch of hits, mostly with people asking for help. SO, if this has been covered before, I apologize. I'm wondering if it's possible to create an activity where you operate the helper/pusher loco. Jerry Sullivan's BR Sub route is nearing completion and I think it would be cool to have a pusher activity out of Erwin Yard. The object (as much as possible) would be to connect to the end of the waiting AI train, have the AI engineer pull out of Erwin, TN with you driving the pusher(s), then push the train across the mountain to Poplar, NC. The pusher(s) would then disconnect from the train and head back to Erwin to end the activity (or maneuver through the yard to hook up to a 2nd train and do it again). Possible? Thanks.

Clayton

Default RE: Driving the pusher

That sounds about right. Another option would be to add a C30-7 to your consist as it has the #5 camera view - even though you can't operate it - it's kind of cool hangin' in the helper.

I too have asked the above question. I'd like to see a scenario where the AI train stops near a siding and your engine gets behind and begins to push. Or the AI train stalls on the hill.

This would be great if possible. The way I would set it up is to make the AI train too heavy to get up the hill alone. I don't know if AI trains are affected by weight, though. That would be important in the realism of the activity.

What you should do is set up a way too heavy AI train and see if it makes it up the hill. Maybe do it on a doubletrack mainline so you can chase the AI train and observe.

Mike

[Link Expired]
    Norfolk & Western
    Precision Transportation

Search for "helper" and you'll see that this has already been done- -apparently the AI trains are not affected, or affected very little anyway.

Denny Guest

"Helper" engine is just that, an extra engine to assist the original consist. Helpers have sat at Essex Mt. for over 100 yrs pushing consists over the summit. "Pusher" is the type of assistance, i.e; from the rear.
    Sure you can do it. Use "place consist" for the one you want to push, but remember you'll have to flip your helper around in the consist editor so you can push from the rear coupler.
    At least I think!
    Regards,
    Denny
    http://hometown.aol.com/nectrackteam/main.html
    [Link Expired]

Colz Guest

Aye up there,

You have a number of problems if you want to drive a banker, or as you call them a helper. Basically you can't. M$TS won't allow you to drive the loco behind, if you try it will call it a collision and end the activity.

You cant set an AI train to stall either, AI trains never stall unless you set a wait point in their path.

As far as I can figure M$TS does not read the eng file when it runs an AI train, no matter what loco is on the front it always does just about the same speed and so far in about a zillion hours of testing and developing eng files I have never seen an AI train stall.

As far as the design and development of M$TS is concerned the whole concept was and still is supposed to be for you to sit in your cab, have a few external views and drive from point A to point B like good boys and not to sod about trying to make it into a realistic simulation. The fact that we, as a community are doing our damdest to disobey these basic rules causes much mirth and merriment especially when one of us succeeds in making M$TS do something it was never intended to do.

So don't give up and as soon as I figure out how to drive a banker and get the Coronation Scot up to the top of Shap Summit you can bet yer bottoms I'll post it right here on this forum in all its mindless and tedious detail.

Colz

Iron Fettle Rail

Iron Fettle, Wapcaplitt, Gooseflesh, Sprong, Mitigator, Cleaswold, Edwin and Dexter.

Thanks, Colz. Not the answer that I wanted, but an answer nonetheless. Well, at least I can stick with driving the head end and cutting off the pusher when I reach a certain point. I know THAT works.

Clayton

Colz Guest

Like I said dont give up...set one up and see what happens...any crazy idea or notion you have go ahead and try it, thats how this whole thing works. Six weeks ago there was a day...when...I woke up I got this idea in me head about why a Tank engine only uses water and not coal...I've just figured that many people doing steam locos forget to change Freight to Tender at the top of the tender wag file and I thought...what if I put both calls in the value, seperated by a comma...then a bracket...when that didnt work I did a + sign...then two brackets then two greater and less than signs << >> and then I slapped meselelf on the head cos all values are seperated by full stops...erm...in American...periods...so I did 0.1 and blimey...it worked..

I've done loads like that...Record Breakers was delayed, some of you sent money, Brad advertised it...but there was no CD...that was me...I kept finding fixes...and every time I found one I yelled at Nigel who's 400 miles away in Dorset to stop the FTP transfer I got another update...I still got updates, to the wagons and coaches...we need to do some work on Nigels wagons cos they aint right..they're good but hands up all them thats got them has spotted the mistake...but each time I make a discovery it costs 3DTS half a million quid cos they have to stop what they are doing and do a CD with patches on... and so here I am on this site and soon as I get meself organised...I'll upload fixes...all I gotta do is get me ass into gear and do the wagons and not this route I'm working on...

There's 37 hours in a day, I work 34 of them.

Colz

Iron Fettle Rail

Iron Fettle, Wapcaplitt, Gooseflesh, Sprong, Mitigator, Cleaswold, Edwin and Dexter.

> Colz wrote......
    >
    > As far as I can
    >figure M$TS does not read
    >the eng file when it
    >runs an AI train, no
    >matter what loco is on
    >the front it always does
    >just about the same speed
    >and so far in about
    >a zillion hours of testing
    >and developing eng files I
    >have never seen an AI
    >train stall.
    >

Doesn't read the eng file for AI's?

How does it know what .s file to display? Try changing the wheel radius in the Engine() section to something silly and see what speed the wheels revolve at!

It is possible to place an AI a few feet in front of the player service then slowly couple up to its rear. It fires into life and if you have the sound setup right will chuff along as well.

Colz Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-04-02 AT 07:12PM (EDT)[/font][p] Wheel Radius is cosmetic only, to make the animation look right. Some modellers do the wheels 25% of actual size to save on poly's. If I put a Kitson on 50 x 20 ton wagons and make it an AI train in a traffic pattern on a route with a four mile 1 in 70 grade what do you think will happen?

The Kitson is a very powerful shunter but only carries enough coal for about 40 miles. It can move 1,000 tons on the level but not stop it unless the train is fitted with Vacuum brakes (not that M$TS notices the difference between air and Vacuum) there is no way a Kitson can get 1,000 tons up a 1 in 70 and after 40 miles it will run out of coal the AI fireman continues to shovel but there is in effect nothing on his shovel and as far as you the player can tell the loco just stops and nothing you do can induce it to move except coast back down the grade.

If the proggy reads all the eng file and acts on it, then the Kitson will never make it to the observation point...so...I'll prove it to you...take me a while to run it but I'll post a piccy here in a while...

Colz

Iron Fettle Rail