Thread: AI Traffic Trains...Beginner's Question....

Default AI Traffic Trains...Beginner's Question....

I am learning how to make activities. I have Rich Garber's tutorial from the file library. I have made my first activity that has AI traffic trains and I can not get it to run like I want it to...

Scenario: (route--Sea View 2) I am driving a passenger train from Port Pelican to Sea View Beach. I stop at Flat Top Island to pick up additional passengers. While stopped at the station, a freight train travelling in the opposite direction, comes around the curve and stops 2 switch points before it gets to the passing siding. I don't want it to stop, I want it to keep coming and pass the passenger train while I sit at the station. After leaving Flat Top Island and before getting to Mystery Island I encounter an unscheduled passenger train travelling toward Flat Top Island that has been given the right of way, so I pull onto the siding so it can pass by on the main line. But it stops on the main line at the other end of the passing siding. I don't want it to stop, I want it to keep coming and pass me while I am on the passing siding.

The only way I can get my AI traffic trains to work like I want them to is to put my player-driven train in Reverse and back up as little as 5 feet, and then the freight train comes on by just like I want it to, and the other passenger train starts up and comes on by at the proper time..

I obviously am leaving out some step, I just can't figure out what it is.. Do I need to put in a location event or an action event, or what?

Any and all comments, suggestions, and help are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    Regards,

Keeter

Default RE: AI Traffic Trains...Beginner's Question....

You may have solved your problem. I have seen that same scenario posted before and the answer was to back the player train up about 5 or 10 feet and the AI train will proceed. I believe it is a glitch in software.

Carlyle Thompson

Ive seen this on some routes......the signal system (or AI dispatcher) doesn't behave properly.

One suggestion though (although you've probably already tried it if you Read Rich's tutorial) is when creating the AI traffic trains path, ..click "begin passing path". I dont know if this will help or not but its an easy modification.

Worst come to worst, you can always make a note in the activity brief informing the activity user to make the backing manuever or have a pop-up message at each siding where this will occur.

Sorry I don't have a better solution!!!!

BTW.....does the AI train get hung up (as you described) in the VCR playback as well, or just in the game?

Longhairedwizard

Thanks for the suggestions..
    I tried all sorts of combinations trying to solve the problem, never could get it to work like I wanted it to, so I settled on adding a message at both locations to remind the driver to reverse the train momentarily so the AI trains would work properly.
    I also discovered that the AI train has to already be started on its timed run BEFORE I first stop at either of my locations or it won't work.

LHW--if you happen to read this, I can't get the VCR player to work on any route, activity, or path. I'm not clear on how to do it. Do I just click on the player service, or player service edit, or traffic service, or individual consists' runs..or what?
    Thanks in advance,
    Keeter

Default VCR tool

With your activity saved, click Tools/Verify Start State. Look at the clock at the lower left, it should fast forward to the activity start time. Then click on play and watch all your little green trains start to move. Set it on 16 or 32x speed and they start moving faster. On my long route, zoomed out, I do it at 64x or 128 x and watch those trains flash all over.