Thread: Activity Editor Freezing!!!

Default Activity Editor Freezing!!!

Hello Everyone, my name is Trevor. I played MSTS a little back when it came it in 01' but never had much time for it back then due to school, so I ended up not playing it for all these years since. Now I have reinstalled it and find myself playing it more and more every day! Iv always been a huge train fan but there are no rialroads near where im at in Wyoming so Im pretty deprived. But I grew up in Denver, CO, so Im a huge Rio Grande fan!

But, to my main point. As Im sure you all know, the game comes with very few activites to start out with, so I want to learn/teach myself the Activity Editor (because we all know "Explor Route" is just so dang boring!)

Now for the problem... Anytime I try to use AE it will freeze when I try to navigate the map or zoom in/out(no matter what I try, using mouse, heyboard, or the 'tools' navigation window thing. It will work for a minute, letting me drag the map arround with the mouse, and zoom in and out, but then, it will just freez, dead in its tracks, and then after it hangs for a minute it crashes to desktop with Microsofts lovely "Send/Dont Send" message, it says the error is occuring in the main 'train.exe' file. But I have downloaded the 1.2 update which replaces the train.exe file with the newest new one, so I just dont get it. I have also downloaded the Utilities update, althou in that readme it dosnt say anything about updating the AE so Im guesing its left alone.

It seems thou that if I dont move arround too quick or too much at once or try to zoom in too much it once, it wont freez, but I have to move in very small increments. I know that makes it sound like the problem is my computers too slow to keep up with the program. But Im into computers, and I just bought myself a brand new machine 2 months ago thats pretty much top of the line, so having a slow computer isnt the problem.

I tried searching the forums for other people having troble with AE freezing but couldnt seem to find anything. Thats why I decided to make this post.

If there are any old topics about a situation similar to mine or anyone knows a cure to the problem, that would be great. Thank you all for reading, and I would really love to get this bug worked out. Thanks alot!

BTW, My machine has Windows XP w/SP2. If that helps any.

If you guys need more details to try to figure this one out please ask me and I will tell you as much as I can.

Best regaurds,
    Trevor

Default MICROSOFT SUX!!!!!

"BTW, My machine has Windows XP w/SP2. If that helps any."

Sure does. Known issue with service pack 2, reduce your desktop to 16 bit instead of 32 bit color to cure the freeze in the activity editor.

Default RE: MICROSOFT SUX!!!!!

"MICROSOFT SUX!!!!!" - hahaha, aint that for sure!! They did one nice thing for us thou, when they decided not to publish another buggy train sim for us to pull our hair out trying to get it to work! And their "all-mighty XP with SP2" has to be reduced back to 16bit just to run a game that THEY publish!!! Thats just too funny.

But anyway, I REALLY appreciate your fast response on that, it was killing me. The funny part is, I was reading thru these forums somewhere a while back and saw something about haveing to back down to 16bit color but I just wasnt really thinking about it because I hadnt even put the game back on my computer yet.

Well now my AE finally works! Im glad you replied so fast because I was gona copy my routs and trains and stuff and then uninstall and get rid of MSTS completely and try a fresh install. But backing the color down was about a million times easier then all that work. Thank you so much for you quick response, and you knew exactly what the problem was, haha. I really didnt think it was gona be that easy of a fix.

Best Regards,
    Trevor

Default RE: Activity Editor Freezing!!!

The Activity Editor will only function with the monitor set at 16 bit. If your monitor got reset to 32 bit (default with Windows XP) then AE locks up when trying to scroll through the route with the mouse and when doing other things.

Bob Edwards

It is a common problem that has been reported many times here at the forum.

Thanks for the input. I think it must just be an XP thing, because when I played arround with AE years ago on my old machine with Windows ME it never had any trouble.

But switching to 16bit deffinately fixed the problem. So now whenever I want to mess in AE I have to remember to switch down to 16bit again, lol. I always put it back up to 32bit when I dont plan to use AE for a while. I never would of imagined the problem was so simple to solve, I thought it was going to involve a reinstall of MSTS at the least.

It dosnt make sense why it freezes just because your in 32bit, but oh well. Thanks for the help guys!

Glad the problem is solved, so just an observation. I have XP Pro SP2 and have had my desktop set at 32bit since day one with this computer and have had no problems with it at all using either RE or AE.

However, I do have an old video card (GF5200) and am wondering if this isn't the issue in most cases, maybe the vid card/driver being the culprit.

Just curious if anyone else had the same results.

RobertR .. ADF-M&RM at http://www.adfrr.com

Hmmmm. Interesting thought, Robert, I had 98SE when MSTS first came out, lowest machine was an AMD K6-2 450 with a 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee PCI card, highest a Palomino 1600 with the Nvidia Ti-4400 AGP. First XP machine had a Radeon 9700, also AGP, but I never upgraded that one to SP 2 and never had this trouble with it. What's different about my current machine is it came with SP2 installed, and I assumed that was the trouble - except the card is a 6800 PCI express card, possibly the difference is this newfangled PCI express instead of AGP. Hee-hee, never thought I'd see the day when AGP became outdated technology! Anyway, changing the desktop to 16 bit fixes it for me, and the only game I currently have installed that wants the desktop set to 32 bit is Morrowind, so I just set to 32 bit to play Morrowind and set it back when I'm done. Odd thing, I dunno why Morrowind needs the desktop set to 32 bit, all the other games I have including MSTS are happy to run in 32 bit independently of the desktop setting. Wonder also how come this affects the activity editor and not the route editor or the game, you would think it would be the other way around.

Not really very deep into vid aspects so this may not mean anything, but the FX5200 is using v6.14.10.4502 drivers so this may be part of it since it seems like the newer drivers are in the 7.xx range.

Thought about updating the drivers, but with the results I'm getting, decided to not fix something that is not broke. I'm just thinking much of this may be due to video card/drivers as opposed to the SP2, although funny that it waited to show up for so many after the update to SP2.

As to why the AE being affected rather than the RE, only explanation I can come up with is just to remember we're working with MSTS. That may say it all!?

RobertR .. ADF-M&RM at http://www.adfrr.com