Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Cabviews

Default Night Cabviews

Here is the latest progress in my experimentation of night cabviews. (Cab courtesy of Dekosoft) Kyle

Default RE: Night Cabviews

Nice!! I like that. Do you have to use a seprate cabview in order to do that, or is it possible to "light" it when the sun comes up?

great job.
    Brian Bundridge
    TrainSim.com Moderator

"GREAT" looking.

Very Nice,

I was ( stress the word was ) working on a SD70 version. The cab / left and right views all looked really good. It was when I started adjusting the lighting on the separate control ace files that I decided..

Goin back to the lit up cab for now

Oh well

Tim Kent
    [Link Expired]
    "Power for You"
    [Link Expired]
    96th_Malice

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

AWSOME!!!!!! Totally Frickin AWSOME!!!!

PLease continue!!!

Kelley

Thanks for all the fine comments. Macster, this is a seperate cab. Unlike Flight Simulator we don't have a switch to change the gauge lighting. I am glad you are all interested. I was somewhat discouraged on a previous post that there did not seem to be much interest.
    [Link Expired]
    I've enjoyed the use of what I've done so far, so much so that I am going to move forward with trying to enhance it. Tim, I was in the same boat as you with the individual aces for all the controls. However, someone helped me out in another post, and now my tgatool2 is converting odd sized aces just fine. If you have PSP7, I found that you can convert an ace file to night and save it in about 1 minute. This has eliminated the frustration I was having, and I encourage you to pursue your ideas. I am not the type who desires much credit for anything. I do it for me and if others like it, I'm willing to freely share. I will be glad to help you in any way that I can. Send me a private message if you wish to do so. I promise I have this process down to where it is pretty fast.
    The only thing I must decide on, is that since you can't change back and forth between night and day, I would like to have 1 that is a compromise and can be used full-time. I am including some screenshots in hopes of soliciting your opinions on how you think I should proceed. Here is the present cab during daylight hours. Kyle

Left view daytime

Previous version day and night
    [Link Expired]
    [Link Expired]

Kyle, that is really excellent -- truly believable. And its clear you've put a lot more skill into it than just adjusting the brightness and contrast. The overall balance of visibility, shade and lighing just look -- right. It certainly works well in both day and night modes too. I'm assuming, from your brief description, that you're achieving this by PSP7 adjustment of the TGA files, right?

I'm in the middle of a different approach, mostly for my own amusement and learning. I'm trying to describe "night lighting" to 3D Canvas and use POV-Ray to render the night version (as I did for the day one) -- thus my questions in the other thread about cab lighting. To do this I have to define the light sources, type, color, direction, etc. Subtelty seems to be the key. It's coming along, but I don't yet have a result that I feel is as good as what you have achieved. Nor am I yet sure that my end result will be worth the extra effort -- but it's fun experimenting.

Kudos to you. You've produced a very nice piece of work there!

Regards, Jimi

Jim, you are exactly right about modifying the TGA's in PSP7. The first post that I referenced tells a little more about it. It is certainly not a secret and I'm more than happy to elaborate to anyone who has an interest. Thanks for the compliments. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no knowledge of 3D Canvas, nor any modeling program. I wish I did. (I also wish I knew how to make a great route, but the guys around here are doing an awesome job of it!!!) Kyle