Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leslie S-3L Horn Sound Needed

Default Leslie S-3L Horn Sound Needed

Does anyone know of a good sound file for a Leslie S-3L horn (used by Conrail, Union Pacific, Santa Fe, and many others)? There's a file in the file library labeled "Conrail SD-40 horn", but it's not even close to the right sound.

Default RE: Leslie S-3L Horn Sound Needed

Have you tried the 3dts SD70M?
    It's got a different horn - the type that most of the Santa Fe Blue & Yellows had.

amtrakmatt Guest

Guys
    Look in your default Sound folders for the GP38-2. It comes with two S3L horns. one is sounding a bit better than that other. They both seem pretty realistic to me!
    Matt
    NALW

I dunno....MY GP38 default has only ONE horn -- gp_horn1.wav and x_gp_horn1.wav (It's got two different bells....one sounds like it has fewer coats of paint on it!!)

And that is NO Leslie S-3L. That is a dead Nathan P-3 (the #4 bell is not sounding). The S-3L woud be deeper and stronger sounding even if it isn't workign properly.

The sd70_horn.wav that comes with the 3DTrains SD70M is an EXCELLENT Leslie S-3L. The only problem I found is that the in-cab volume is nowhere near what it should be...but the sound itself is great. It's also been looped very well, so a short tap of the space bar gives you just that on the horn -- with appropriate volume.

pointroberts Guest

Think I saw a post a while back from Brad at 3D Train Stuff that the SD70M horn sound level is accurate for two reasons: the unit has a Whisper Cab which cuts down on outside noise, and the horn is located near the back of the unit. It is the BEST horn so far in MSTS, if you really want to hear it try the Headout view.

Yep that's right. I set the horn up that way on purpose because of the particular locomotive. But the horn WAV file should sound louder if used on the GP38. I lowered the volume in the SMS file, not the WAV file. At least I think that's what I did, I'm so busy with Cajon I don't exactly remember how I did it. :-)

John Greenstone
    3DTrainstuff Route Guy, Sound Guy too

Oh yeah, I forgot... I want to thank all of you who have posted favorably about the horn. I'm glad to see it is working well for everyone!

John G

amtrakmatt Guest

The horn that comes with the GP38 sure sounds like all three bells are blowing on a S3 to me! If that is a P3 that sure is the throatiest P horn Ive ever heard! The other file it has is x_gp_horn1.wav and that sounds like only two bells blowing.
    Matt

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-02 AT 09:12PM (EST)[/font][p]As I mentioned....MY GP38 only has had ONE horn since I loaded MSTS onto the computer....and it is the "dead" version.

I compared it with a "dead" P3 I have an audio recording of (on SP) and it sounded identical.....

BUT -- Matt's right, it REALLY IS a Leslie!!!!

In my ripe old age, I completely forgot about the Leslie S-3K version....which is what is on a lot of the former Burlington Northern units!!!! It sounds almost the same notes -- but with different timbre, etc. -- as the Nathan P3.

(Actually what happened is I got further on in that audio tape, and I actually kept notes 20-30 years ago when they were made, and a recording of BN 6800 came up, whenit was leased to SP down here in southern California. It had the Leslie S-3K on it!!!)