Thread: SteamLoco Sound Question. Experts pse view!

St. Winifreds, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

Default SteamLoco Sound Question. Experts pse view!

Is there any-one that could point me in the correct direction?.....I would really like to modify all my Steamers to "Cut" the sound, when the 'Regulator'is closed. Only the clickity of the track must be audible NOT the chuff sound? Is this possible? Please I beg of you to help.
    Johan.:p

Default RE: SteamLoco Sound Question. Experts pse view!

Yes, it is possible, but requires massive modification of the SMS file. You change the way the engine uses the sound, from speed traveled, to rotation speed. Following is a sample using the first;

Stream (
    Priority ( 6 )
    Triggers ( 54
    Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past .2 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_fs_power_cruise1.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
    Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past .5 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past .5 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_fs_power_cruise1_25.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
    Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 1.0 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 1.0 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_fs_power_cruise1_5.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
    Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 2.0 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

This is just a small portion of the file. Next, using the Variable1 trigger;

Stream (
    Priority ( 6 )
    Triggers ( 48

Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past 0.05 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_s0_2low.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
    Variable_Trigger (Variable1_Inc_Past 0.1 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past 0.1 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_s0_2.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
    Variable_Trigger (Variable1_Inc_Past 2 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past 2 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_s2.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
    Variable_Trigger (Variable1_Inc_Past 4 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Using the variable1 trigger allows the engines sound to match slipping wheels, and when the throttle is closed no sound is heard. The very first file it looks at has to be short, and silent, as, no matter what speed you are going, when the throttle is opened, it will play ahead of the correct file.

I can send a sample sms file for the ShayD, that I've finished, I'm working on others. The D&RGW K-36 by Fozzy the Bear will have these settings.

Steve

Steve, Thanks for the reply. I've sent you an "E" check your box.
    Regards, Johan.

mikkox Guest

>Using the variable1 trigger allows the
    >engines sound to match slipping
    >wheels, and when the throttle
    >is closed no sound is
    >heard. The very first

I would recommend using Variable2 for the volumecurve now, if the regulator type is changed to single_port. It gives a smoother transition, not dropping to silent so sudden. Also the silent sound sample is propably not needed, although when testing it, it sometimes acted funny when the throttle was moved too quickly. A very short silent sound sample might help.

For added realism, it is now possible to have multiple sound samples for a given speed of differing loads, that will be crossfaded by using multiple streams and the Variable2 controlled volumecurve. At low throttle settings the low load samples are used, and at higher throttle settings, the high load sounds are brought up giving a smooth transition. I have tested this, I created high load powercruise samples for the a380 (by making the higher frequencies louder) and using the above mentioned technique, it sounds really great when you can hear the locomotive start working harder when the throttle or cutoff is increased!

Won't using a single port trottle effect the handling when driving such a modified loco?

mikkox Guest

>Won't using a single port trottle
    >effect the handling when driving
    >such a modified loco?

Propably, I haven't tested it yet. I haven't found any info on what kinds of locomotives used the single or twin port valve. But it seems every locomotive that has been built has the same settings on that, so it propably isn't that realistic... the settings mainly affect how sharply the throttle lever reacts to letting steam into cylinders.

Mikkox,Timken and fellow Simmers. Thanks for the information comming forth. I keep on reading and digesting the Info. Please understand if I'm not going to reply to each post....this will clutter the Forum. ;-)
    I do hold you guys in high Esteem.
    Johan. :-)

mikkox Guest

Check my post at the locomotive design forum how to get a twin port regulator to work properly with the Variable2.