Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-cab rumble rumble sound from passing AI traffic

Default In-cab rumble rumble sound from passing AI traffic

I currently have my rolling stock sms files set with Scalabilty Group 0 containing good passing sounds for AI traffic, and with cab view activated. That means I get the passing traffic sounds in the cab. BUT, I still also get the default rumble-rumble-clunk-clunk sound that seems to be the default in MSTS. It switches on as the passing traffic approaches, then switches off after it passes. It spoils the nice sounds from the vehicles themselves. Is there a way of turning off the default. None of my rolling stock files calls up the sounds, yet they are always there.

Any help or comment would be appreciated. Thanks.

thow

Default RE: In-cab rumble rumble sound from passing AI traffic

if you can't figure out how to do that, you can always delete the sound file, be sure to backup though.
    Missing sound files simply don't play, no warnings, no problems

Thanks for the comments. Yes, that was my "option of last resort". Trouble is, I would like to distribute the loco file to others, and they will still have the clunky-clunky sounds in their setup. Just eliminating them on my machine would only make me happy, not them!

thow.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

What sounds are you using for your rolling stock etc?Are you using the default sounds or some freeware or payware sounds?

All sounds are my own wav files, except for the random scotsman ones (which are not the cab sounds I am talking about), and the sms files are my own. I make no use of any other default sounds in the sms, yet still the cab rumbles are there! Passing AI traffic is fine if outside the cab. The traffic sounds the same when heard from inside the cab, but the default rumbles are also there.

thow

To get rid of the default track sounds, edit each routes ingame.sms file.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

Thanks very much John. Your comments have enabled me to do an additional forum search, and I have come across a useful thread which has helped enormously. Since I am working in close association with a Route developer I will discuss with him, the possibility of him modifying one of his files to permit the unadulterated passing sounds.

thow

It sounds like you are hearing the default track sounds.You need to edit out all the sounds you do not want and leave in just the ones you do.In my track sounds sms files I use only mp_rail_high 1 to 10 ( but not 5 or 9 ) and mp_rail _low 4 & 8.This eliminates all the annoying clicks,bangs etc from the "random sounds".My 3DPM wagon sounds supply all the required sounds.I also found an excellent sound "inwelded"(interior sound) and "welded1" (exterior sound) for rail sounds in the CP freeware on their site.

Yes, I have tracked down the problem to the "rail_low" set of wavs. I have also worked out what sms files call them (e.g. the usatrack*in* series of sms). Trouble is, I am having difficulty finding what calls those sms files. I have been all through the route files and every other configurable file, and can find no reference to those sms files. I suppose this means that the game itself calls them, and there is no solution other than to change the ScalabiltyGroup 0 setting in all those global sms files. Given that I don't wish to modify users' global settings, I guess this means that I can eliminate the problem on my machine, but can't do it on other people's machines simply through my rolling stock sms file. Is this correct?

Thanks for all the help and informative guidance so far.

thow

You will find the ttype file in your routes folder which specifies the track sounds you hear.It calls the sms files in the "Sound" folder in the main MSTS folder where all the sounds are stored which play without a path being specified.I believe the only train which makes these sounds operate is the player train ( I am not sure about that statement,perhaps someone can confirm or otherwise).I have changed mine to SL3 as I find SL5 gets a bit overcrowded and the track sounds dropped out using it.If you pm me with your email address I will send you an example of my sms file which gives a much better track sound.They need amending anyway because with the speeds specified you will seldom get to hear the second section.