Thread: BOSTON TYPE 7 LRV

Default BOSTON TYPE 7 LRV

Thought I would give you a look at how much I have done on the Type 7. About 1/2 would be about right. This is the A end and it runs fine although it looks like it was in a serious accident. My idea is to make a duplicate end and have them couple inside the bellows that isnt there yet. MSTS would not take the whole thing due to size so breaking it in two solves that problem plus the articulation.

Engineer1008

Default RE: BOSTON TYPE 7 LRV

That looks very fine. I would encourage anyone with the appropriate talents to try to add an interior to the type5 and also this type 7 so as to greatly enhance their status among the other fine models being produced by the MSTS fraternity. The type 7 has been very sucessful in Boston because a lot of its design has been based on PCC technology. The prototype units were built by Kinki-Sharyo of Japan.
    nice job Engineer1008 and Matt Harter (who I assume provided the basis for this model).

The LRV runs great and takes the corners just like the prototype. That tight loop at Lechmere is a challenge it should survive. A week and it should be ready.

..And here is a preview of the Boeing LRV that I'm working on. Naturally, this is a Matt Harter model, but the difference in the way I'm doing the model is that I'm actually filling in the holes that Matt left for windows and things. The result is a simplified body that can have an ordinary texture applied to it. Many of the details that had been done with polys can now be part of the texture.

I noticed that your Type 5 had a texture consisting simply of several blocks of color, which disappointed me when I went to try and add some detail to the texture. But I understand why - attempting to convert Matt's models has been a difficult process. With the Boeing, I've managed so far to reduce the model to about 4500 faces. I'm almost finished with the basic geometry, but I'll also have to make an interior for it. And of course, once I've got the modeling finished, I'll have to split off the rear section in order to articulate the car.

The screenshot here shows the partially textured model. The parts that aren't textured yet are like that because I simply haven't finished drawing the texture yet. Also, the texture is modified from a drawing I once made of an as-built Boeing, with the sliding doors, while the model is the rebuilt type with folding doors. I'll just have to fix that on the texture. I might modify the model for an as-built version after I finish this one, though.

http://bostonterminal.web1000.com/screens/mbta3477d.jpg

I've succeeded in getting the doors to open and close when the 'P' key is pressed. This will add some realism to activities for the Green Line route (when it's finally done, of course), since the driver will have to open and close the doors at each stop. Since the pantograph is supposedly lowered when the doors open, you'll have to remember to close the doors before departing.

There's a chance I might finish the model/texturing within a week. The .eng file will take me no time, as I can just modify the one I've made for Matt's PCC. However, I want to make a new cabview for it, and I'm also working on recording some sounds from the actual cars. Maybe I'll just release a basic version of the model initially, but I want to make this a complete release eventually.

Alex Stroshane

http://www.trainweb.org/asamtrak911/smbanner.jpg
    Amtrak Prototype & Model
    Photos, Train Gifs, and more!
    http://www.trainweb.org/asamtrak911

Nice work Alex. I didn't realize there were so many talented Boston fans. Saw those units this spring at Riverside and Reservoir.

The image was not displayed when I looked at your post. It was linked to a web site that was down. I would like to see how its going.

The TYPE 7 will be similiar to the type 5 as I dont have the patience to completly alter the model. I did some animated doors on a subway car and was toying with the idea but didnt. That sounds great. The cabs are similiar so I am anxious to see yours. How are you articulating it?

A lot of Matt's detail was in the trucks and other parts that are not visible, I think the model had about 10,000 faces.

I think that Boston is well covered and I am glad the interest is rising. Now if someone would just build the subway for the green line..... Hmmm!

Engineer 1008

George,

Here's a new image showing the progress as of last night. I'll try to make sure this one displays. Actually, the problem with the previous one is that the web site's server doesn't like being linked to, so sometimes it refuses to display the picture.

I've got most of the texture for the exterior of the Boeing completed. I feel that it's pretty well detailed, and I can't wait to finish mapping it to the model. I've got the doors working perfectly now, so all I have to do is duplicate the animated ones and place them in the other door locations.

The trucks on the Boeing model also contained lots of polys, so what I did was to get rid of Matt's wheels and track brakes, then replace them with simpler shapes that I made from scratch. The couplers were extremely detailed, and simply getting rid of a pair of hoses near them eliminated a few hundred polys. However, I ended up making a new coupler that is much simpler. I'm trying to texture it so that it still appears more detailed.

Matt's original geometry made it extremely easy to detach the center section that rotates with the center truck. I will link it to the center truck and then detach the rear half of the body as a separate model. Then I'll have to adjust the length parameters in the .eng files so that they overlap properly when coupled. However, I'm waiting until after I finish all of the modeling/texturing before I detach the rear body.

Alex Stroshane

Amtrak Prototype & Model

George,

I forgot to mention that I'm slowly starting work on the Green Line route :-). I'm only a little past the Lechmere loop, because each step of the way requires me to make a bunch of custom scenery items, i.e. the elevated structure. I'm going to use the same station model for several of the subway stops, and the surface stops will only require a platform and a shelter, but I've got to get past the Lechmere viaduct and the Sciece Park station first, not to mention the rest of the el near North Station.

Alex

Amtrak Prototype & Model

These cars look amazing, I'm glad to see so much good effort going into them. I can't wait to give them a try when they are ready. I hope to work on a Breda type 8 when I get some more time, that will pretty much round out the MBTA trolley collection.

Matt