Thread: Trolley Poles

Default Trolley Poles

Hi,

In one of the early Traction forums was mention of a trolley pole library. Is this file on Train-Sim ? If so, where is it ? I tried all combinations of trolley wire poles but did not have any success.

Is it possible to have overhead wire and no wire on the same route ? For instance the interchange of a traction line with a regular RR. MSTS Help mentions that track laid with preferences set for non-electric will have no overhead wire but when route preferences are reset to electric afterwards, all seems to get the overhead wire.

Thanks,

Mike

Default RE: Trolley Poles

I'm assuming you mean the poles that support the wire as opposed to the pole on the car that rides the wire. There are a limited number of line poles scattered throughout the library, as well as the ones on USA1 and one of the Japanese routes. The Swedish gantries come to mind. You must also edit the gantry.dat file in order to place them automatically.

As to having the wire show or not, it's one or the other. I'd love to be able to have wire over one line and not another, but with this version of the sim, it can't be done.

Hi,

in addition to what Dave states correctly, let me precise that by adding that it would only be possible by tricking MSTS into it with a very labor intensive stunt:

- place the default wire sky-high or well below the ground
    - "hand-string" a catenary for the track you want to have a visible wire for, placing every segment of it as scenery object, which means painstakingly aligning it with the track for direction and correct height...

Someone is actually in the course of doing it. See the screenshots on the London & Port Stanley line by Wayne Campbell

http://members.rogers.com/wacampbell/index.htm

especially for an example of track with and without wire:
    http://members.rogers.com/wacampbell/bx.htm

[Link Expired]
    [Link Expired]

Lukas a.k.a Swissie
    Lukas a.k.a. Swissie

gatecityca Guest

Mike,

I know your post is a bit outdated now, and I wish I had seen it earlier. As far as trolley poles are concerned, there is a good set of trolley poles that are included in a utility pole package in the File Library. It has telegraph, telephone, and I think three different types of trolley poles. They are the vintage, single arm poles typical for 600 volt trolley wire. The file is telegr2.zip

Chris,

Thanks for the tip on where the trolley poles were located. Just what I was looking for.

One of these days they will be in service on the "Toledo, Port Clinton and Lakeside Railway" or "Toledo and Eastern" as it was known until operations ceased in 1958. Only one downer. The location is NW Ohio and the terrain is FLAT ! Hardly a dimple in the DEM-generated
    terrain. There will be woodlots and lots of productive agriculture scenes. Even the trackage was mostly 'straight arrow'. But it was where I grew up and I love traction.

Mike