Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Ladies

Default Two Ladies

Well here is another pic from my lengthy signal waiting.

Here we have two drags, one is pulled by 2 relatively new SD70s while the other larger drag(mine) is being pulled by 4 30 year old engines. 2 SD40-2s, a SD45 and a SD40t-2.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/upl...1181838260.jpg

They might not be the latest and comfiest, but those engines sure can get those 100+ cars moving. There is something about the feeling of power you can get with those older units that is lost with the newer engines. The power vibrates through you with every throttle increase as you skin 'em back and the exhaust pours out of the stacks (something the EPA does not like, but I don't care). The howl of the dynamics as you slow to a stop in a siding to await a fast moving "Q". As you pull on the horn lever you are rewarded with a melodious tune, something the button activated SD70s do not have.

Regards,
    Erik Pierson
    Sacramento, Ca

www.sacramentolocomotiveworks.com

Default RE: Two Ladies

Right on Erik! Old power ROCKS!

Alec

Love the Standard Cab EMD's. You can't beat em :P

Nice Stuff!! You cant kill older EMD power thats for sure!

Unfortunately, the older stuff just isn't as powerful nor efficient as the latest technology. Whereas now 2 SD70Ms can pull a train, it would have taken 3 older units. It just isn't as efficient to have to maintain 3 30 year old locos on a daily basis than it is to maintain two newer units, which BTW have advanced diagnostic computers on board that make the maintenence easier to do. And with AC technology, one does not have to worry about burning out traction motors as much. And EFI makes the newer stuff more fuel efficient, which is especially important in today's economy. But I wouldn't mind taking the exhaust silencer off an SD70M and letting her rip in notch 8. As for the horn, I personally like the authoritative scream of a push-button K5LA. They still have a melody to them, and they don't squeal like the old lever horns. ;-)

>As for the horn, I personally like the
    >authoritative scream of a push-button K5LA. They still have a
    >melody to them, and they don't squeal like the old lever
    >horns. ;-)

One thing about those push button horns is, ummm... well, if you heard a Conrail SD60M or an SD60I you know what I'm talking about...

I prefer the older style horns, but of course they do squeal quite a bit, I heard a C39-8E earlier today and it had the wierdest horn I've ever heard, it sounded like a bunch of retarded mice. ;-)

Austin
    http://www.geocities.com/bgmasf/prrgg1left.gif
    GO PIRATES!!!

Ya, and C40-8Ws too. The S3Ls on those units sound like a really loud trombone. What kind of horn did that C39-8 have? Was it a P5?

Yes it was.

Austin
    http://www.geocities.com/bgmasf/prrgg1left.gif
    GO PIRATES!!!

Everything you said is true about the new units. But ask any engineer with 20+ yrs experience and they will pick the SD40-2 as the preferred locomotive. Most engr's like the crash survivability and amenities of the new power but dislike the same units for the poor visiblity to the rear and the hassle when a unit fail.

With 3 Sd40's and one fails you could always limp into the terminal but with 2 of the newer units a failure means a stranded train and a recrew. And these units do have failures maybe not as much as the older units but surprisingly quite often. If the computer senses a problem they just shut down. No adjustment possible they just go down. Then the computer has to be rebooted. A call to the RR locomotive desk generally produces some favorable results as they talk you thru the computer restart/reset sequence but sometimes not. One nite I heard the locomotive desk instruct a train crew that was having problems getting a lead consist to load & move. "Be sure you are stopped either in a yard or on a siding and clear of the mainline for other traffic. Because if this restart doesn't work your train will just be a pile of junk. None of the units in your consist are going to work. So don't do this till you are stopped and clear the mainline." Well the units reset and ran another 50 miles before another failure ensued and train was stranded and had to be recrewed by a train bring replacement power. With older power at less the mechanical forces could give you some help on the affected unit to allow you to limp in. But with the newer power you are done and need a replacement unit.

EXACTLY! THe other day the WC transfer had two engines fail(both CN units :+ ) on a hill , and a IC SD40-3(good puller) pulled em the rest of the way(with about 80 some cars on a hill, maybe more)up to New Brighton.

Alec