Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Long 8159

Default So Long 8159

Now that CSX 8159 is awaiting scrapping in real life, and it was made for the sim by Danny Beck for Streamlines, here are some shots depicting the unit near Parkersburg West Virginia.

The unit is being dissmantled in Huntington.-Jeffrey

Default RE: So Long 8159

Adios ;)

Great shots! I like how the red sky sets an atmosphere and mood towards the subject. May I ask why the unit is being retired? If that's what it looks like in real life, it looks fine to me, just like any other CSX SD40-2.

I'd venture to say that it's reached a point where it's not feasible to keep it on the roster anymore or it's been damaged. Just speculation.

>The unit is being dissmantled in Huntington.-Jeffrey

Where did you read that?

I'll have to ask but it might have been something like a blown turbo, or broken crankshaft. Things like that will retire a 30 year old EMD on a class one. The picture was taken by Brian Gessel.

Nooooo....! ;(

More worthless gevos to replace that unit :(

Germansville, Pennsylvania, United States.

not to add more sorrow, but it looks like 8159 isn't the only SD inline for this horrible task :(. EMD needs to come back and kick GE in the ..............yeah. In my book no GE can replace an EMD. Poor SD's :(, say hi to all the other retired friends :).
    The Lehigh & New England Preservation Society: Bringing Home the L&NE 611!!!!
    For Donation information Come Visit us at: www.facebook.com/lne611 or PM Me

>not to add more sorrow, but it looks like 8159 isn't the only
    >SD inline for this horrible task :(. EMD needs to come back
    >and kick GE in the ..............yeah. In my book no GE can
    >replace an EMD. Poor SD's :(, say hi to all the other retired
    >friends :).

i'm with ya there. hence my signature "you can't spell garbage without GE" it's sad to see another EMD SD40-2 die... but then again look at the statistics... there are more EMD SD40-2s around then GE's C30-7.. same production years... EMDs last longer than GEs do... Heck there are more ALCOs in second hand markets than GEs... no one want's them. Plus look at the more modern GEs. BNSF has ALOT of C44-9Ws running around with obvious fire damage done to them. And I haven't seen a single EMD with the same scaring. And when GE's go. they go. When an EMD blows it's turbo it blows and sends thick black oily smoke into the air.. When a GE turbo goes, it explodes, sends shrapnel though the engine compartment potentially severing fuel lines and electric lines, sends 10 foot high flames and billows out gasoline and thick black oily smoke until the engine shuts down.. seen that happen a few times. nothing like getting diesel fuel mist on your clothes... although woth watching that show.
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>
    Norfolk Southern: It looks like Darth Vader on rails to me.