Thread: Trainz switches

Default Trainz switches

From what I've seen in the beta pics, it looks like the "switches" in Trainz are just two pieces of track overlapping each other. I hope they are not like this in the final version. It will never fly with serious railroaders.

Default RE: Trainz switches

No. They are proper switches. The reason for the overlap on some beta pictures is simple. Those scenes were created almost immediately after we installed our packages so we did not really know the correct procedure for creating switches. New pictures contain correct switches.

http://www.crotrainz.com/images/trai...a/surv-012.jpg

Barney
    [link:www.crotrainz.com|www.CroTrainz.com]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-01 AT 02:28AM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-01 AT 02:19 AM (EST)[/font]

Even though, I still think the way the track looks is the weakest point of Trainz and needs a lot of work by the design team.

Many people say, this is a matter of taste and who cares as long as Trainz Surveyor makes life so much easier compared to the MSTS route editor. But for me this is still the major gripe I have about Trainz compared to MSTS (even though I have already order my copy of Trainz).

It's a major point about a railway simulator that it gets the look of the railway paraphernalia right. It may be the way the screenshots display, but in some screenshots the rails remind me of those horrible wooden pre-school kiddy rails children under the age of 4 play with.

Cheers,
    Henry.

Nate0125RS Guest

This has been brought to the attention of Auran, and they replied that this is one area that they are still working on. The rail texturing has not been completed yet.

Ya know, this doesn't bother me all that much...what's important to me is how the train looks and runs when it goes through a switch. As long as there are no random uncouplings, as on MSTS Marias Pass, and as long as the sim does not try to depict the actual position of point rails only to see the train's path ignore them completely, as at several places on the MSTS NEC, I will be happy. And at least in the screenshots, I think the general look of the overall track in Trainz is superior to MSTS (or at least to the way the MSTS track looks on the 80% settings needed for my low end vid card).

Speaking of which, beta testers, are there sliders to set for Trainz and, if so, what's the effect on track and scenery objects of less than max settings?