Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Object Formats

Default Object Formats

What is the file format for user designed objects(locos, cars, buildings, etc.) for input into Trainz? Is it .3ds or .x or special Auran format?

Default RE: Object Formats

Take a look over at the Trainz site for the tech info:
    http://www.auran.com/koolthingz/trainz/faqtumods.htm

Regards,
    David.

Thanks I did that today! Much more information sharing than MS!

>Thanks I did that today!
    >Much more information sharing than
    >MS!

???????? More than MS? Intially Auran will only support 3D Studio Max, and even then it looks like we may have to wait for Driver module 2 to be released before we can import objects and trains. MSTS supported Studio Max from the start as well.
    Mind you Auran seems to be flip flopping on this in different posts. I suspect that Trainz will end up supporting 3D Studio from the start, and then Driver 2 will allow for the import of other models. Hopefully we will know soon exactly how this will work.

Cheers,
    James.

You are right about the flip flopping. I went to the Auran site the day I made this "declaration." Auran was stating support for importing formats of 3D StudioMax, Lightwave, Maya, and release of the Trainz native format. I went to the site a couple of days later and this statement had been removed and replaced with a very generalized statement about importing objects with no specific reference to the method. That's why I intend on owning MSTS and Trainz. I don't believe that either one will be the total answer to train simming.

You are also right about the staggered release of features. I think once Trainz comes out people will realize how much MSTS does allow you to do. The initial release of Trainz does not support signaling, user designed object import, user designed loco import, or AI consists. MSTS does all of this and provides complete realistic lines from four major railroads in the world.
    Trainz does have the best route editor and eventually animated industrial equipment.

So as I have always stated in other posts get an extra hard drive, buy both sims, and enjoy the hobby!

"Buy both and enjoy the hobby" , excactly, I've been saying this for a while as well. I think anyone who hopes that Trainz will be MSTS 2 is going to be dissapointed. The two programs look like they are going to go nicely side by side.

James.

John_Banks Guest

The initial
    >release of Trainz does not
    >support signaling, user designed object
    >import, user designed loco import,
    >or AI consists. MSTS does
    >all of this and provides
    >complete realistic lines from four
    >major railroads in the world.

Hi, just to clarify on first release Trainz will support:

a) signalling; b) user designed object import; c) user designed loco import and ; d) AI consists. On this point AI is defined via the user setting track conditions in Surveyor i.e speed settings and Signalling states for example. This will be extended with the release of YardMaster.

For further details please visit www.virtualtrainz.com and feel free to email [email protected] with any questions that you may have.

Cheers,

John Banks
    Auran
    www.virtualtrainz.com
    [email protected]

From the Auran website:

Will it be possible to create my own 3d engine models?

Yes, but with the important proviso that this will not be an easy task. For a start you will need some skill and experience with a program such as 3D Studio Max. This will be supported in second release of the Trainz Surveyor module.

Maybe I don't understand what this means, but it definitely emphasizes user object import in the second release.

Nate0125RS Guest

I think it means animated objects for use in Surveyor. I don't think it means train engines, as they would have nothing to do with Surveyor anyway. It is confusing though.

John_Banks Guest

>From the Auran website:
    >
    >Will it be possible to create
    >my own 3d engine models?
    >
    >
    > Yes, but with the
    >important proviso that this will
    >not be an easy task.
    >For a start you will
    >need some skill and experience
    >with a program such as
    >3D Studio Max. This will
    >be supported in second release
    >of the Trainz Surveyor module.
    >

Hi,

We've managed to include support for importing of 3D locomotive models into the first release of Trainz. The FAQ has just been updated :) However, it is still the case that at this stage the models will need to have been created in 3D Studio Max. We are looking at the possibility of supporting other 3D modelling software with future releases.

Cheers,

John Banks
    Auran
    [email protected]
    www.auran.com