Default MSTS vs TrainZ

What are the differences ... :-)

= The ups and downs =

Thanks for the replies

greetings Roland
    Greetings from the Netherlands
    Visit Dutch MSTS and RailSimulator forum: http://forum.trainsimdatabase.com

Default RE: MSTS vs TrainZ

Visit Auran's web site and download videos on using their editors and tools to create new routes. One person said it took him just 10 minutes to create a simple route. Jeffrey.

Okay, so in your opinion TrainZ rulezzz :-)

Greetings from the Netherlands
    Visit Dutch MSTS and RailSimulator forum: http://forum.trainsimdatabase.com

LawrenceKellie Guest

Primarily the differences are a matter of taste.

It is like which word processor is better--MS Word or Word Perfect? Much of it has to do with a matter of taste and how comfortable you are with either one.

MSTS has bugs in it. That is certain. It requires a pretty hefty computer--but so does Trainz. It is quite like real modeling--you place items that you choose with the mouse. Rails are in sections. It is like putting gutters up on your house--with all the sections, elbows, etc.

From what I have seen of Trainz--watching the videos--it is extremely mouse oriented. You draw with the mouse where and how you want the track, and it magically places it. If you want a switch/point, you draw one, like printing the letter "y" by hand. If you want a slip, you draw one. Using the gutter analogy with Trainz, it is like those seamless gutters--the ones that are made in one long piece then attached to the house.

But, primarily--in my opinion--it is a matter of taste. You have people who will swear by either product and others who will swear at either product.

Lawrence

All I will add is that I am happy to see more train sims getting onto the market. More sims can only me more fun for all of us.

Barney
    [link:www.crotrainz.com|www.CroTrainz.com]

You have to be kidding me! Yes i know all about the thousands of bugs in MSTS but just to say i spent $100NZ on it! jeez! Is there any relese date for Trainz in New Zealand? No, i havent made a route yet, the Geo extractor takes to damn long, and i cant figureout how to work the damn route builder! Still, its runs nicely, but i only get 3-5 FPS with a large train :(

~\/~/\~\/~/\~
    JudgeKiller
    ~\/~/\~\/~/\~

"The Judge is in the house!"

Canberra, Australian Capital T, Australia.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-01 AT 07:24PM (EST)[/font][p]World-wide retail release is for Q1 2002...probably February, after the holiday season is over.

You can order online at Auran NOW....by 15th. November....and get it delivered in time for Christmas :)

Bruce.

steady1 Guest

I have had MSTS for a month now, and like it very much, with emphasis on the operational side, as I have not yet managed the "route editor" as yet (nearly there thanks to this forum's help). I have almost conquered the activity editor. I have no problem with crashes experienced by others, the only difficulties I have had so far have been self inflicted. I find operating the trains to be similar to operating my DCC N scale models. The potential to create a near protypical route is very appealing to me, and I am glad I have MSTS.

On the weekend I got to play with Trainz beta at a commercial software developers exhibition. I was impressed with the screen quality and realism, and was able to create a basic route within minutes as its all GUI (graphic user interface) so you can almost draw a route with the mouse. Its quick and easy, it seems to have addressed many of the awkwardness of MSTS, especially in creating terrain around your tracks. I can see I will probally get this one as it becomes available.

Both programs work infinitely better with high end pc's due to the very high number of objects to be keep on screen all the time. Th eonly answer to this seems to be 'save your pennies and upgrade asap.

Peter

Question, is the person who said that it took him only 10 minutes to create a basic route, is he one of those computer geeks that was able to figure out the MSTS editors within a week or is he like the rest of us who needed Micheal Vonne's book in order to figure out the RE? Although I think I will stay with MSTS I eagerly await the release of Trainz simply because I think the competition will force MS to improve MSTS in future releases.

CeeBee Guest

I'm no computer geek, in fact I'm usually not a whizz at figuring things out but Surveyor really is user friendly and easy to use. However, 10 minutes will not make a large route, or a detailed route in any editor that I know of. A lot depends how well you know surveyor, how fast you move, and what exactly you are trying to model... A flat prarie route with very few objects.... one could do quite a bit in 10 minutes :)