Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trainz of course

decry Guest

Default trainz of course

gday

just a thought.. will groups interested in contributing extensive add on routes commercially to trainz encounter the same copyright issues with using aurans basic objects and textures such as trees etc as 3dtrainstuff.com did with microsoft, with their tehachapi pass release?

Default RE: trainz of course

I would imagine so, after all those sorts of things are the property of the original company. Plus people have already paid for them once when they purchase the program so why should they pay for them again. The way around it would be to build a couple of trains and charge for those, and then give away the route for free. Sort of like an added bonus.

decry Guest

thats a good idea .. though it would all depend on how extensive the route is.

Brad Brown and his team at 3DTrainStuff.com are part of the Trainz beta group and I am sure I would have heard from them regarding this issue. Also as far as I know Auran will encourage exchange of user created files. There's already a file exchange system in preparation on their site.

Barney
    [link:www.crotrainz.com|www.CroTrainz.com]

>Brad Brown and his team at
    >3DTrainStuff.com are part of the
    >Trainz beta group and I
    >am sure I would have
    >heard from them regarding this
    >issue. Also as far as
    >I know Auran will encourage
    >exchange of user created files.
    >There's already a file exchange
    >system in preparation on their
    >site.
    >
    >Barney

Remember, there is a diffence between sharing user created files, and Auran's original files. It all depends on the how the creator would like to share his work. MSTS wasn't against you sharing their work, they were against charging to share it. If you look at the Abacus route it contains all new shapes, trains and routes, so it's a true add-on, and this isn't a breach of the EULA. In some ways I agee with this, but if I wanted to get around it I would market the route as a free add-on, build one free train, and charge $19.99 for it. The route would be free-ware and not breach the EULA and I would be in the clear.

James.

An interesting side note to this. I received the Auran Regional Add-on for MSTS and their lococmotives use sound effects aliased from the original MSTS locomotives!

It will be interesting to see how Microsoft reacts to this. It has been my (non-professional) contention ever since this issue came up, that Microsoft's interpretation of the EULA is invalid and unwise. I'm kind of glad to see someone challenge it.

Canberra, Australian Capital T, Australia.

.. will groups interested in contributing extensive add on routes commercially to trainz encounter the same copyright issues with using aurans basic objects ....

As a beta-tester for Trainz, I have to say that I can't see it as being a problem for one very, very simple fact:-

The ONLY files that you will have to provide with your route/layout are those created when you create the new route/layout AND any custom-made 3D and texture files.
    All objects are called up from a central library; they are NOT part of the route itself.

Therefore, if you create a route/layout which uses nothing more than all the default Auran files you will not have a problem...you simply make the new data files (about six of them) available as your package.

Therefore, even with some custom-made objects and textures, the file package will be quite small indeed. To give an example, I'm currently 15 miles into a route based on a real-world line and the core route file is only 4 MB!

Hope this is of help to you.

Bruce.

Hmm, that's a good point Bruce. I guess if you were able to alias the shape files in the routes, you would be able to by-pass the EULA for MSTS.

James.

>Hmm, that's a good point Bruce.
    > I guess if you
    >were able to alias the
    >shape files in the routes,
    >you would be able to
    >by-pass the EULA for MSTS.

Unfortunately, Microsoft claims that if a commercial add-on aliases ANY files from the original MSTS routes it is violating of the EULA for the utilities. Apparently, the only exception that they seem to be willing to make is for track and road objects.

The problem is compounded by the lack of a compression utility for the ACE files. This makes it impractical for 3rd party objects to be used as replacements for existing MSTS objects because of the huge file sizes. I understand that this is why 3DTrainStuff's route had to be stripped down to a "Developer's" route.

decry Guest

bruce

excellent :)
    thanx