Thread: Converting my Trainset folder for use in trainz..What do you creators think of this ?

Default Converting my Trainset folder for use in trainz..What do you creators think of this ?

It would seem Trainz will be fairly open and easy for making or converting trains to use.. Tho no feed back yet on the Idea of converting MSTS rolling stock to trainz rolling stock. Apparently they had some trouble with converting there Trainz to MSTS.. (Another MS thing) so im not to sure if it can be even done....But !!

If this is possible now or in the future.. Would anyone object to people converting there rolling stock to play with Trainz ?

My trainset folder contains 3.51gig as it stands now..And i feel it would be great if i could convert some of these for my own private use in Trainz... I know distrubuting would stir the pot..Of course everything would still be credited to the original designers if some time in the future i was to pass one on...free of course. Then there would also be the problem of the original creator ie: he might be converting the model himself to be used for trainz.. I suppose it would just be a case of emailing the creators for there point of view.

Anyway.. Whats the thoughts on all this ?? I dont want to step on any toes so i thought I get the air cleared before trainz hits my puter

Catchya's

So whats the thoughts about my and possibly

dgallina Guest

Default RE: Converting my Trainset folder for use in trainz..What do you creators think of this ?

From what I can tell so far, while Trainz and MSTS both use 3dsmax models as their base, they each use different conversion modules to change them into their native format. Unless you had 3dsmax source models for one I can't imagine you could easily convert it into the other. In any case, the underlying physics, lighting, etc. are not part of that converted model and must be differently defined for each game.

I'm not saying it's imposible. I'm running some of Auran's models in both MSTS and the latest Trainz beta, for example. I don't see how this could be done without the author's doing it, however.

Regards,
    Diego

Default RE: Converting my Trainset folder for use in trainz..What do you creators think of this ?

I don't believe the 3ds models were included in MTS. You would need to decompile the .s files, which is against the EULA.

I take it that goes for user created models as well Vern ?

I didn't know it was possible to unconvert an S file.