Thread: The difference

Default The difference

I have been searching around for a while now trying to find the answer. What is the difference between the Community version and the Retail version of Trainz?

~\/~/\~\/~/\~
    JudgeKiller
    ~\/~/\~\/~/\~
    a.k.a
    -++{=Neos_Matrix=}++-

http://secret.lab6.com/uploaded_files/1007759194.jpg

Default RE: The difference

hmmmmm...... bit slow today. :7

~\/~/\~\/~/\~
    JudgeKiller
    ~\/~/\~\/~/\~
    a.k.a
    -++{=Neos_Matrix=}++-

System:
    Pentium 3 700mhz
    128 RAM
    Voodoo 3 2000 8mb
    Windows 98 SE
    19" Monitor
    8x DVD 40x CD
    scabby 56k modem

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-01 AT 05:01PM (EST)[/font][p]The Community version is simply a version released direct from Auran for those who pre-ordered on their website.
    There will be no major differences between the two, any improvements done for the retail version will be available as a download for those with the community version.

Oh yes, I think the box will also be different.

Southpaw_Samurai Guest

Reports are that Trainz:Community Edition comes in a DVD-style case, while most likely the Strategy First published retail version will have a bigger box just because of the obsession the industry has with shelf space and drawing people's eyes.

The manual may also be prettier in the retail version (as publishers tend to like pretty packaging), but that's unknown. Were it Microsoft publishing it, I'd say the opposite might be true and you might not get a printed manual...but Strategy First seems to follow old-school strategy game style and print out decent manuals.

As Gazza has already said, the Community version is a sort of 'pre-release' version that Auran shipped out before Christmas to appease the rabid fandom. It's currently lacking some features that will be in the final version (such as DirectX support), but is otherwise identical to the final retail version. Auran will have an update available around the time of the retail publishing (if not before) that will have it up to speed, so you have nothing to lose going through Auran, except for a potentially higher price.

Most who pre-ordered Trainz have it already, and the rest (like myself) are hoping for delivery today or tomorrow.

It seems that the upcomming patch will have the DX Support.
    Will the retail have Yard Master and all the others with it?

~\/~/\~\/~/\~
    JudgeKiller
    ~\/~/\~\/~/\~
    a.k.a
    -++{=Neos_Matrix=}++-

System:
    Pentium 3 700mhz
    128 RAM
    Voodoo 3 2000 8mb
    Windows 98 SE
    19" Monitor
    8x DVD 40x CD
    scabby 56k modem

Nup.. Yardmaster and all the other modules are future Add-ons..Yard master being the first, Fingers crossed febuary..And apparently there underway for the Boss module so hopefully that wont take to long either..

How much it will all cost i dont now..And being a lover of freeware.. Im hoping it wont be too much on the o'l wallet..But only time will tell..

Catchya

Zagan Guest

>I have been searching around for
    >a while now trying to
    >find the answer. What is
    >the difference between the Community
    >version and the Retail version
    >of Trainz?
    >

The main differance is the box the pre-shop ordered one (The one you can get right now, unless soldout) is in a DVD style box.

The proper retail box will be a proper cardboard one.

The Current version is 1.0, the retail version will be whatever version, Trainz gets up to when it's ready to come out, Q1 2002.

Yardmaster won't be included, it will be out around 6 months, time.