Thread: How realistic is trainz?

Default How realistic is trainz?

I know that Trainz is called a "virtual model railway". But this is exactly I don't want to have. Everyone can have model railways for himself. I want a simulator of real trains.

How do locomotives behave in Trainz? What about controls, signalling,... ? How is the realism (physics,...) compared to MSTS?

Thanks for your answers!

Greetings,
    Roni

1500 km route for MSTS:
    http://ronaldus.com/asmallworld

cskpke Guest

Default RE: How realistic is trainz?

Well I have both now. Both MSTS and Trainz are nice programs but they are very different. In my personal opinion Trainz is just that, a virtual model railroad. MSTS is more realistic operation and offers for the time being more flexibility as to realistic running and switching and route building. Trainz "surveyor" is really neat and quick. Someone else may have a totally different opinion, but this is mine.

Later,
    CSK

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-01 AT 05:22AM (EST)[/font][p]There are two control modes in Trainz. One where you use a model railway style controller, the other is similar to MSTS where you control throttle, brakes etc.. To me the trains behave in a convincingly realistic manner. A basic form of block signalling is included with the first release, and more systems will be added in the Yardmaster module. For more info look at the Trainz site http://www.virtualtrainz.com.
    Read all the info there, download the movies and read the forums. The community is very active and very enthusiastic. If you have any questions feel free to post them.

Regards,
    David. :-)

kirby33 Guest

I agree that it is very different than MSTS. In some ways the realism of TRAINZ is great, such as the sound which is really good. I'm addicted to MSTS and love it for alot of the same reasons I love MS Flight Simulator. Both are faithful simulations of prototypes and of the environment. TRAINZ is a very different experience, and its alot of fun. I like that they are so different from one another because neither can replace the other. It is definitely worth checking out.

I'm wondering if you have considered buying the Abacus Editor program now out for MSTS??? Perhaps that would make terrain & track work less tedious?

LawrenceKellie Guest

To what Abacus Editor are you referring? I was just at the site and I don't see one. The closest thing to an Editor that they have is the Train Simulator Modeler, which is a 3D modeling program, nothing to do with laying track.

Lawrence

Maybe he's refering to Rich Garber's DEM Tutorial, which is not at Abacus ;-).
    Hawk

"And it comes to be, that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way."
    Metallica
    Hawk - Hawk & Badger Railroad

"We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress." -Will Rogers

That's the one ... haven't purchased it yet but hope to ... it will make terrain structuring more user friendly.

That's the one.