Thread: Auran Trainz is slooooo......

howard334 Guest

Default Auran Trainz is slooooo......

Hello everyone....
    Just recieved my copy of Trainz on 12-12 and I must admit I'm a little disappointed. It isn't quite up to par performance wise. Surveyor is wonderful, beats up MSTS by a long shot, but the performance of the "JET" engine during play was less than I expected. I have a 1.5 Ghz P4 w/512 MB and Nvidia graphics card and I find the frame rate to be about 8-10 FPS (not in Surveyor however which rates are excellent) - perhaps I'm used to the frame rates in MSTS which seems to outperform Trainz during play framerate wise. And thats with all the options on in MSTS, as opposed to Trainz which I left at the default. And Trainz ended up costing more than MSTS. I tried to reduce some of the effects in Trainz but unfortunatley it becomes less than pleasing to the eye - tracks are drawn short until the consist is almost on top of the next section, reducing the polygon count on the consist to help relieve some of the work ends up producing engines/wagons that are almost unrecognizable, AI traffic runs "jumpy" - not a smooth ride anywhere except in cabview looking out the sides.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here - correct me if I am.....

If we could combine the editor of Trainz with the play engine of MSTS wow......

73's de KB1ARQ Howard

dgallina Guest

Default RE: Auran Trainz is slooooo......

What resolution are you running at? In general you need to run Trainz at a *lower* resolution than MSTS to achieve decent frame-rate. Check out the readme file if you haven't for suggested configurations / settings.

I play mostly on an Athlon 1.2Ghz with 512MB ram and 32MB Geforce 2 GTS. On this hardware I get decent FPS (between 20 and 30) at 800x600x32 resolution with shadows on.

Diego

Hi Howard,

Sounds like you need to update your drivers - with your system specs, you should get great performance. People have reported doubling of framerates by installing the latest drivers. Visit our website and read the Technical FAQ's for help here... http://www.auran.com/trainz/techfaq.htm

There is also a technical support forum where there are some great fine tuning tips. If none of that helps, then drop our support guys an email.

Here are a couple of posts from the Trainz forums regarding framerates etc...

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    256Meg DDR
    Geforce 2 Leadtek Titanium 64meg
    53 gig HD (2 drives)
    Soundblaster DE5.1

Did some tests, on the english run as weevil did.

Running 1024 x 768 32bit
    Everything turned on

Letting the train run while i go to the desktop, i get normally 45-50 fps with some drops to 37.

After messing around with Trainz for a couple days I must say I am totally speechless at the quality of this product! I did have one minor problem with rainbow ground textures. Once I downloaded the latest drivers for my video card it was fine. I think the sounds are absolutely wonderful! I had to do a double take after placing a gas station in surveyor, it sounds like an active gas station! Each time I play with Trainz I find something new that I like! If the people at Auran ever made an OS I would buy it in a heartbeat! And I runs great on my computer with everything turned up and 1600x1200 32 and shadows! I got my "SANTA" system about 9 months ago when stuff was VERY cheap! Off I go to play some more! weeeeeeeeeeeee

P4 1.5
    384 Rambus
    SBLIVE Value
    Geforce 3 of the Visiontek persuasion
    19" Viewsonic flat crt

Tony Hilliam
    Auran COO

Hey all

I don't suppose a Voodoo5 card will ever be welcome in Trainz
    :( :( :( :(
    Regards
    Bob
    Mobile AL
    M&O,GM&O,CSX,IC,SOUTHERN,BNSF,L&N
    :7

Probably not Jitny :-( But on the bright side.. Just think how well the rest of your games will run if you decide to buy an upgrade :-)

Catchya

Yup
    You have a point, but, being a retired dude with limited assets..... you know :)

Regards
    Bob
    Mobile AL
    M&O,GM&O,CSX,IC,SOUTHERN,BNSF,L&N
    :7

edlight Guest

Service Pack 1 should fix it with Direct x support. It runs alot faster in Direct x -- it's in open gl now.

There's a way to force it into directx for experimentation but it crashes after a bit without the service pack.

In trainzoptions.txt add
    -Render=RenderDirectx