Thread: A "switching" puzzle

Default A "switching" puzzle

For some reason Auran's website seems to be down along with the forums. I've been having a hellish time putting in switches, and I figured out where the screenshots were hiding at (in there own folder) to show my little problem. After I finish the layout, I'll more likeily send the layout to someone to install the switches right. I'm slowly getting fed up with this problem and wish that Auran would have turnout pieces to make this a lot EASIER to do!!! :|x(

Here are the screenies....

At Manchester Branch line switch.
    [Link Expired]

At Manchester Lumber.
    [Link Expired]

Any and ALL help will be more than welcome. I've tried everything that everyone has told me to do and that STILL isn't working...

Thanks.

Grrrrrrr..............

<plays Killer Instinct Gold to relieve some of his stress>

Brian E. Bundridge
    Lexington Pacific Model RR Club
    BNSF Scenic Subdivision MP 1.77
    Seattle, Washington
    Brian Bundridge
    TrainSim.com Moderator

DLSpurlock Guest

Default RE: A "switching" puzzle

I don't know if I understand your problem completely, but I'll give a stab at it. I got those double red arrows the first few times I made turnouts as well. Then I learned this:

The turnout track must join the main track at a spline (one of those white circles). You can insert one at the point you want if there isn't one already there. Once its joined you can fiddle with the length of the turnout to make the curve negotiable by a your trains.

Hope this helps.

Dave Spurlock

Hehe. Thanks for the help, now i see why ppl say "Splines are you friends" Back to work :)

Thanks again

Brian E. Bundridge
    Seattle, Washington
    Brian Bundridge
    TrainSim.com Moderator

Once you get the knack of it, it's pretty easy. I created a large yard with all switches and tracks lined up neatly with no kinks. Even have large sweeping curves with switches on them.

Damn, I've revealed myself! Don't tell anyone that I have strayed "temporarily" from Marias 3.0! :)

Paul

This is just tooo much fun....

LOL, I've got it down myself, I'm going to add 2 more modules and some more industrial tracks and release it, the "main" yard is nearly 14 tracks, all perfectly straight :)

Now Get Back To Work on Marias 3.0!! Heheheheh - Unless of course your doing MP for Trainz :P:P:P

Hehehehe

Brian E. Bundridge
    Seattle, Washington
    Brian Bundridge
    TrainSim.com Moderator

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-01 AT 02:53AM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-01 AT 02:52 AM (EST)[/font]

Paul,
    I know what you mean. I have a couple of MSTS models in backlog, but I can't stop having fun with Trainz. It is great being able to match prototype trackwork with ease or just making huge layouts. If I could afford 3DStudio I think I would totally loose myself in the Trainz world. I am still not sure I understand AURAN's reason for not releasing the format yet. I really had some structures for Trainz I wanted to get started on.

As for turnouts / switches the Moviez clearly show what to do to make a turnout with ease.

Auran says they want to make sure their file formats are not going to change before they release them. They don't want all the third party stuph to break cause of a change they maight have to make.

Paul

Considering it aint 'technically Released' yet.. That seems pretty sound judgment from Auran.. (Feb is the 'Official official official release date :P)

As for the switches.. Yes "Splines are your friends"... As i'll demonstrate... Cause i just love pics :P

Yard Before i loved splines...

[Link Expired]

Yard after I loved splines...

[Link Expired]

2 more shots of Spline use....

[Link Expired]

[Link Expired]

Splines are the Key :P Plus once you learn the 'Add gradient' and 'Get spline height' buttons.. The posabilities are endless..

Loving it.. So far ive lost no track work... Oh .. Some know how i feel :P (So many acres gone...)

Catchya's

WOW, that looks sweet there Bow!! I finally got the switches/Splines down, and I'll probably let out a beta soon, I love how it looks, maybe i'll post a couple screens <g>

Brian E. Bundridge
    Seattle, Washington
    Brian Bundridge
    TrainSim.com Moderator

At last... curved switches on curves. It is fun... the scenic items and the ability to place cinder roadbed under the track is really neat...... I read somewhere about limiting the number of add-on sections to keep the program manageable... do you recall that???
    Joe Cooney, Ocala, FL