Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trainz Demo Avaliable

Default Trainz Demo Avaliable

http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/

Heya Guy's.. Just thought i'd let some know that strategy first have released a 55.5mb download for folks to try out this game..

Im not sure as to whats in the download as i have the real thing and therefore havent grabbed the Demo..

Hopefully folks will enjoy.

Catchya's

Default RE: Trainz Demo Avaliable

Hey I tried the demo and:

I'll keep the Train Sim Thank You

Chuck

TucsonCoyote Guest

Tucson Coyote Here

I Just Downloaded the Demo and Installed it.. And Now I just Can't Get enough of it..(Frankly It Makes Me Wonder why Microsoft DIDN'T invent this one! (I think when I show my Roommate this Demo When He Get's home, We'll Probably Say.. So Long MSTS Hello Trainz...

Tucson Coyote

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-01 AT 10:06AM (EST)[/font][p]I downloaded it and tried it out. It was pretty much what I expected. While the driver module is reasonable, I still think MSTS is a better game if you want to drive trains. However, when it comes to route editing, there is no comparison. Surveyor is incredibly easy to use and I had a simple one baseboard layout in less than 10 minutes (note, you can't save in the demo). I will probably buy Trainz just to get the Surveyor module. Even if you aren't that interested in making routes, Surveyor's ease of use will have you hooked.

BTW, it runs fine on my PII400 with 320mb RAM and a 32mb GeForce 2 MX if I lower the terrain detail a little bit. :D

I just have one question to those who already have Trainz (and therefore the manual :-)). Is there a full range of keyboard shortcuts like MSTS? I find the mouse an extremely clumsy way of operating the locomotive.

--

http://members.optushome.com.au/jrbrook/pics/icon.jpg

Victorian Railfan Web Site:
    http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-01 AT 11:01AM (EST)[/font][p]I too bought Trainz basically for the Terrain editing tools.. Now Im surely glad of my investment.. The fact that MSTS stuffed my O\S which ultimatley led to the demise of the puter, Is really the only reason ive gave up on it.. I would love to merge the driving capabilities of MSTS to the surveyor module..Then it would be sweet.. Having said that tho i must add that i Have barely at all..Ever driven from the cab view. I have always used the little DCC control because its how i like it..Want instant speed ?..cant be bothered waiting for it to struggle up that grade for 2 hours ?..Well just notch the DCC up and watch her fly... I Love that :-) And it can stop just as quick :-)
    The Cab View i am told has all the Realism necasery.. I drove it just tonight to test my layout ..just to see how the realism buff would handle the route.. Gotta say in the short 5 mins i ran it..It was pretty darn MSTS'ish to me :-) I used the mouse as i do throughout the whole game and only just found out (Because im to laxy to read the manual) that there are key commands for anything and everything :P

Im glad to hear some of ya's are enjoying it and some arent.. I thought maybe i was the only one that was hooked on it.. After 3 weeks i still have to learn alot to it..But the things i can do now... Well... Darn great.. Soz.. :P

Wow..after that.....Ive forgotten what i was on about......

Heh..Typical................

Catchya's

Fresh of the trainz website.. (Well might not be fresh..)

Apperently the wrong key suggestions went with the demo..Here they are.

Quick Start:

To begin a Driver session, drag and drop loco's and rolling stock onto the "consist window" at the bottom of the Driver screen. Next, click on Terrain and choose the terrain you wish to drive on. Then click on one of the arrows on the mini-map to place your consist. (You can create and add multiple consists by using the scroll arrows in the consist window). The final step before clicking the green light is to go into settings to choose weather and driving conditions and to save all these settings for quick loading next time.

Driver - Summary Of Controls

Internal View

RMB drag left - look left
    RMB drag right - look right
    RMB drag up - look up
    RMB drag down - look down

Chase View

RMB drag left - rotate clockwise around subject
    RMB drag right - rotate anti-clockwise around subject
    RMB drag up - rotate up over subject
    RMB drag down - rotate down below subject

RMB + LMB drag up - zoom into subject
    RMB + LMB drag down - zoom away from subject
    MWHEEL up - zoom into subject
    MWHEEL down - zoom away from subject

Tracking View

No mouse control

Map Screen

LMB on consist - select/deselect consist
    RMB on map - scroll map and centre on location

LMB on UP arrow - scroll map up
    LMB on DOWN arrow - scroll map down
    LMB on LEFT arrow - scroll map left
    LMB on RIGHT arrow - scroll map right
    LMB on + icon - zoom in
    LMB on – icon - zoom out

DCC Control

. or > - spin right (accelerate forward)
    , or < - spin left (accelerate reverse)
    / or ? - centre (stop)

Cabin Control

REVERSER
    NUMPAD * - forward
    NUMPAD / - reverse

THROTTLE
    NUMPAD 8 - accelerate
    NUMPAD 2 - decelerate

BRAKING
    NUMPAD 3 - apply brakes
    NUMPAD 6 - lap brakes
    NUMPAD 9 - release brakes
    PAUSE/BREAK - emergency

DYNAMIC BRAKING
    NUMPAD 7 - engage/disengage

PANTOGRAPH
    NUMPAD 4 - up/down

AUXILIARY EQUIPMENT
    NUMPAD + - horn
    NUMPAD - - sand
    B - bell
    L - headlight
    I - toggle ‘Imperial’ & ‘Metric’ display

CAMERA
    Right cursor key - look right
    Left cursor key - look left
    Up cursor key - look up
    Down cursor key - look down

General
    SPACEBAR toggles the consist display window
    F1 toggles the Train Cameras panel
    F2 toggles the Junction Cameras panel
    F3 toggles the Turntable Cameras panel
    F4 toggles the DCC controller or Statistics panel
    1 go to Internal View
    2 go to Chase View
    3 go to Tracking View
    M toggle the Map Screen
    D activate Decouple
    P pause
    ESC Quit Driver, or close current dialogue

Thanks to Tony Hilliam for posting them up.

Catchya's

Thanx to Bo for posting the keyboard commands. I got the demo and have run it for several hours, driver and editing. My impressions:
    Surveyor tool is great, much easier than MSTS editors after I got used to the navigating. The detail level is not quite up to par though. Track switches (turnouts) detail is lacking and those big red/green arrows spoil the realism of the sim.
    Sound is not as good as MSTS. No doppler effects. Engine horn, one short toot? Whats up with that?
    Cab view is realistic but a bit tough to operate. Can the controls be operated by mouse? Can't seem to get them to move.Maybe it's just the demo?
    The consist wheels in the demo do not rotate when the train is moving. Is this the demo or is this the way it is? A steam engine would look silly without rotating drivers.
    Nice spark effects from wheels when rounding a curve at speed. Now speed...Hmmm...The demo gets up to speed almost instantly and stops even quicker. This is very unrealistic and disappointing, however I hacked into the engine files and was able, by setting the RESISTANCE parameter from it's default 0.95 to a lower value. Play with this and see what you get. With the parameter set to 0.1 the train will coast a good distance when stop is pressed. Thank you Auran for making the engine files editable with a simple text editor.

Bottom line: I will purchase the sim when it arrives in stores just to be able to play with the editing tools.

............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-01 AT 02:38PM (EST)[/font][p]>[..]those big red/green arrows spoil the realism of the sim.

Turn off "Onscreen Help" in Driver settings to hide them.

>Can the controls be operated by mouse? Can't seem to get them to move. [..]
    >Now speed...Hmmm...The demo gets up to speed almost instantly and stops even quicker. This is
    >very unrealistic and disappointing, however I hacked into the engine files and was able, by
    >setting the RESISTANCE parameter from it's default 0.95 to a lower value. Play with this
    >and see what you get.

Again in Driver settings, switch to "Cabin" control method. This enables cab controls, and removes model-like physics without any hacking. (I'm starting to think Auran should have this mode selected by default, or at least make in really stand out on the Settings screen... :) )

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-01 AT 02:41PM (EST)[/font][p]Vince.. I mean this in no offence.. but trainz isnt a Sim.. Its a Model railway Sim yes..But not a real life sim. The reason they speed up and slow down so fast is because its designed to act just like as electric train would on a model layout. :-)

Yes you can use the mouse controls..but unless you have a super computer you'll probably end up with some chuggyness that makes it unberable to try and get the mouse pointer just right..But it can be done tho :-)

Glad you enjoy the editors..I cant seem to get out of them :P

Catchya's

Edited this just to note that Dyvach must be lurking like me :-) If you select Cabin controls you will have total realism and no DCC..and Vice versa...

Enjoy

I'm thinking of waiting for the 4 hours for the demo to download on my crappy 56K but first I need to know a couple of things:

1. Since you can't save in Surveyor mode, can you even drive on the route you created?

2. Is the sound for the trainz more like a buzzing or real-life engine sound?

3. How much and where will I be able to purchase it in Canada?

Thanx a bunch,

Matt
    StL&H Hamilton Sub- 25% Done! Holding at 25% to do some research.