Thread: Just a few thoughts on TRAINZ

Default Just a few thoughts on TRAINZ

Well I have lost a whole month on this game! and I want to share a few thoughts on it..sort of likes and hates thing...
    First I have built an Australian scene using minimum 750 meter radius curves and more ofton 1 km radius. Wherever possible I make it look as prototypical as ever. I guess 40 years of Ho railroading confined to a garage, and now having a computer "garage" measuring infinity by infinity...was just too much for me. I think my "test Curves" layout in Version 5 covers about 60 tiles, and it takes several hours to run over it.
    Problems
    1/ the track on level ground becomes very rough, the trains bounce up and down x(
    I use the ground levelling button and it does not fix the problem
    I use the gradient button set at zero and it creates more problems elsewhere, like removing a gradient I need :-(
    2/ My V/Line and VR S Class Diesels have great v shaped pieces missing from their sides and lose their cow catchers.
    Come to think about it so do the Americain Alcos!
    3/ The Queensland diesels have remarkable windows they Shape change all the time
    4/ All my trains have absolutely unreal acceleration, you can watch the speedo blur up to 100kph. and yet the outside view looks very slow. Slowing the throttle back down to near zero makes very little difference to the train speed..even when going up the 2% grade!
    5/The throttle and some of the other controls repeatedly go 100% in reverse when you return to idle, and it is almost impossible to remember which way to turn it anyway, so invariably when you run trains they fly off backwards and then fly off forwards.... x(
    6/The AI is bloody awfull. As soon as you try a Loco change the Loco you just left flies off in reverse completely destroying everthing in its path. You try to set up a train to follow you through a section, by changing the switch / points behind you as you depart, and it takes off backwards at high speed in the other direction! In fact all my IA trains tend to run backwards. I know you can turn AI off, but their must be a way to run several trains at once. If you depart a train with the IA off it stops!
    Overall I love the game.....Anybody help with these problems, or are they just beta probs....I will post withe the Trainz site as well ;D
    comtrain

georgi55 Guest

Default RE: Just a few thoughts on TRAINZ

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-02 AT 09:49PM (EST)[/font][p]>>4/ All my trains have absolutely unreal acceleration, you can watch the speedo blur up to 100kph. and yet the outside view looks very slow. Slowing the throttle back down to near zero makes very little difference to the train speed..even when going up the 2% grade!

>>5/The throttle and some of the other controls repeatedly go 100% in reverse when you return to idle, and it is almost impossible to remember which way to turn it anyway, so invariably when you run trains they fly off backwards and then fly off forwards....

On these two, are you talking about DDC or Cabin control method?
    Georgi
    JR Yamanote Line. (Tokyo, Japan)(for MSTS)
    [Link Expired]
    All Stations&Tracks layed. Putting in Signals&naming stations.

Hi Comtrain, thatnks for your feedback (although you didn't mention all the bits you liked, just those that are bugging you :( ).

I noticed you haven't posted on the Trainz forums - you'll find a lot of answers to things you have raised here can be answered by the many community members we have. I'll try and answer a few for you.

The acceleration/deceleration "problem" I guess is whilst in DCC mode. This is intentionally "arcade-like" to make it easy to stop and start a loco for younger fans and those just wanting to "go for drive".

Most prototypical driving is done in Cabin mode and using the numpad keys to operate throttle, brakes and reverser - this should give you very accurate driving physics. I would love to hear your feedback if that isn't happening.

The AI flying off in reverse sounds like a new bug - send a full description in to [email protected] with details off the steps you take for this to happen.

Regarding the "bumpy" track, it sounds like you just need to a few tips on the various gradient and smoothing tools - many of the routes I have driven on are bump free. Try doing a search on "gradients" on the Trainz forums.

I'm glad that overall you love Trainz - Service Pack 1 will sort out a few bugs and adds a few new features, and there will be many more upgrades in the future. "The journey has just started" :)

Cheers

Tony Hilliam
    Auran COO (on holidays ;) )

Hey Tony!
    What are doing packing a lap-top on Holidays. If your married, she better be understanding! :-)
    Anyway as an Engineman of 25 years, I guess I like sitting out on the roof...it does make a change ;-)
    As I have said elsewhere I love the route editor!!!
    I am making scenery almost as fast as HE did, but not in 7 days of course. Trainz is the best! I have spent more than $100 on progs for MSTS and still cannot build a route there. But I still like their game as well, place for both of them....
    Now the Internet.....with Trainz we are going to "play" together....that is real cool, despite Microsoft saying it will not be amongst their options. I guess it is a size thing?
    Main reason for not using the interior loco controlls, is having to jump out and change the points all the time, when outside I use the keyboard. When I arrive a pass in the platform and stop it, I use the consist button to change trains, and as I depart on the new train, I get a message that the first train is now on AI as It gathers speed disapearing in reverse whence it came!
    I remember on most occasions the points ahead were against the pass, alowing the freight to depart. On one occasion I had even changed the points behind the Pass, and it still went into reverse. My deadends all have buffers installed, and also the little red stop board. Invariably the rear of the AI controlled train does not stop and ends up suspended off the tile in empty space :P
    Cheers [and I still love it]