Default which one

Which one is beter, Trainz or MSTS?

Default RE: which one

Depends on the day of the week. ;o)

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains
    http://www.3dtrains.com

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

kirby33 Guest

There are things I really like about both, and they are quite different from one another. However, for someone whose interested in a true simulation program MSTS is better one, at least with what's currently available for TRAINZ.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-02 AT 04:31PM (EST)[/font][p]MSTS is much better for prototype simulation. Trainz is a neat toy train simulator ("virtual model rr'ing"), though I understand that the 55 mb SP1 has some enhancements for more prototype realism. Wouldn't know, as I don't plan to download 55 mb for a program I haven't used since the week I got it.

Hmm. is leaving your computer on for up to few hours (depeding on your 'net connection) really so much effort? Considering it just might turn a product you found unusable into something much better..

Just thinking aloud :)

EMDMac70 Guest

Looks like more people like Msts better as far as support for user made objects......
    What I dont like is that in trainz you keep seeing the same ole thing over and over, wish I had time to make a new layout.

LawrenceKellie Guest

Well, you do have to remember that MSTS was out for 6-7 months before Trainz.

Lawrence

OK, I'll get serious. :P

As far as support for 3rd-party addons, trainz would be a hard act to follow in ease of creation. True, MSTS has more items *now*, but it's been on the market since June, while Trainz is just getting started.

The sound in MSTS is not bad, but firing up an F in Trainz will make the back hairs on your neck stand out! I've only been playing it for a short time, but that wonderful feeling never goes away in listening to what's going on around you.

Layout creation is a joy, and I hear someone had made a 500-baseboard layout (if strung together, that's roughly 250 miles). Even at this early stage, Trainz is showing it can do musch more than folks give it credit.

Company Support - MS has had their hands full with other apps, and probably hasn't yet appreciated the number of train-folk out to get their hands on some good RR software. Auran, on the other hand, had support in mind from the start, and didn't just make a lot of noise to get sales started. They're truley commited to their newest offering, where many of the team contribute - not only online on the help side, but also in creating their own objects for Trainz. :)

I don't mean to knock MS, but their view on train simulations is as a "product" for their "customers", while Auran has demonstrated that customers "are" their product.

Give yourself a few days to things over...Drop by the Auran Trainz forum and read through the notes of the users. As wih any product, not everyone's happy with Trainz, but the number f gripes for Auran's product are but a fraction of those for MSTS.

I'll continue to create for both, and will continue to run both. They work very well side by side, so you can't go wrong owning both. :)

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains
    http://www.3dtrains.com

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-02 AT 07:03AM (EST)[/font][p]>Looks like more people like Msts better as far as support for user made objects......

I think it's both what Lawrence said, and the fact up until recently you could only make objects for Trainz if you had access to 3ds Max, which is very expensive. Since the latter is going to change really soon, we may see more and more objects converted to, or created for Trainz... especially considering it seems Trainz locos and wagons are much easier to set up?

Hentis Guest

I agree with whats been said here. Its swings and roundabouts really.The main gripe for me on MTS is the Bugginess and the Lack of support from Microsoft...... Nothing from them on a patch upgrade since day 1. However the Auran guys have like Flarrfan just mentioned have released a service pack for Trainz.
    This basicly includes Direct x support a few cosmetic features and a lot of stuff added that have been asked by the trainz community. Yes its 55 meg but you also have the oppotunity to order it on disk. The only thing it will cost you is postage and Patience. I downloaded it on Friday night on a 56k modem took 3 hours and 47 minutes at a connection speed of 48,000. So It can be done. Yes I was also using a dial up where you had to pay for it but well thats what it is there for aint it. Also another thing to note about Trainz is that it does not support the range Voodoo cards. Although if I am not mistaken some cards do work with it.

Hentis

"Trainz lover here goto www.virtualtrainz.com If you like or are intrested in trainz..... if you dont thats your hard luck"