Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparing Notws...(MSTS Vs Trainz)

TucsonCoyote Guest

Default Comparing Notws...(MSTS Vs Trainz)

Tucson Coyote here

I just want to say that after I got my Trainz Package (and all the Service Packs ) installed I just figured What the heck Might as well pull the plug on MSTS ...(So I uninstalled it..)

With Trainz, I probably will just stay with it..(And keep on the lookout for more rolling stock, and objects to add into the collection..

Which BTW Where can I get that Cool SP GP7?? (That Would Looks Cool..)

also with Microsoft and Aurun now going at it, It's the proverb of the "Tortoise" (Aurun) and the "Hare" (Microfoft)

Seems like Aurun's going to get more of my support and less for Microsoft (Why you may Ask? Easy... )

Aurun has the technical support on their products (Add on Service packs and the like,) What about Microsoft? (Has anyon used their Tools to create Scenery?? (Too Hard..) I tried Surveyor out just recently doing some DEM Tweaking and I must Say it's a Lot Easier than it looks..(So easy you can import Digital Elevation Models in first Scenic it, then add the Track..(Much like the real railroad days when you get out there and Look for the Best Route!)

but I think Aurun's got a Hit on their hands, and Microsoft, if they don't act quick enough will be leaving folks kicking themselves for buying MSTS First..(Frankly I think about selling Mine..(Now if I can get some Trainz Stuff going..)

But that's One Coyote's Opinion... I'd like to hear from others..

Tucson Coyote

dgauci Guest

Default RE: Comparing Notws...(MSTS Vs Trainz)

>But that's One Coyote's Opinion... I'd like to hear from others..

Your making the big mistake of assuming that every train-simmer has exactly the same interests in a train-sim. I have never created a route, I have no interest in ever creating a route or my own custom scenery. I like running prototype looking trains on prototype routes. This is why MSTS will always be the product I prefer over Trainz. I doubt I will ever run out of an abundance of available routes for MSTS or quality addons.

For online railroading, I would have zero interest as well. I have DSL now, but I have never played any online game, no interest. For future products, who knows what the future holds. What makes you think that only one company can ever create new products, enhancements or versions.

These are two different products, with two completely different focuses. This is not a race and constant comparison's between the two for function is pointless. The topic should'nt be "MSTS vs. Trainz", it should be "I like Trainz because . . ." and making the statement "at least it isn't MSTS" is not a positive for Trainz.

Just because I use a PC, doesn't mean that Apple should quit business and stop making their products, someone likes and uses them. They are both computers, both have a completely different market.

Hentis Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-02 AT 07:07PM (EST)[/font][p]
    But as long as there is MTS and trainz then you are going to get it no matter what. You like MTs I prefer to use trainz.... whats the differnece at the end of the day..... nothing we are both happy and satisfied with what we have. You have MTS and your Very large Quality add ons..... and I (we) have Trainz and our small Quality add ons. same thing at the end of the day.

Peace....

Coyote Go here for some of the GP9 the Monkey port RR snow plough loads of Custom scenery... including the Oil Tanks , Wind Turbines, Oil Derricks Nice quality add-ons if you ask me....

http://trainz.luvr.net/downloads-inside.php

I have the nickel plate C420 as well as Aurans C420 also + CP sd40 as well as Oil tanks and an Class 08 Shunter ( switcher to our esteemd collegues across the pond), + few other locos whaich are not on the list. If you want email me and I will mail them over to you.

Email.... [email protected]
    [email protected]

hentis

"Trainz lover here goto www.virtualtrainz.com If you like or are intrested in trainz..... if you dont thats your hard luck"

dgauci Guest

>You have MTS and your Very large {quantity of} Quality add ons..... and I (we) have Trainz and our small {quantity of} Quality add ons. :7

Agreed.

Could we end this stupid comparison of MSTS versus Trainz please?

I love riding trains in MSTS. And yes it is sometimes limited and yes the unsupported route-editor is a major annoyance. But it is still a great product!

I also love making my own routes in Trainz. The ease of Surveyor is great. But let's be honest it is not perfect. It might be if Auran keeps doing what's it doing now.

Considering what have happened in the MSTS world over the last 6 month's we could say that it is a enormous achievement by a great group of trainsim enthousiasts. And what i see at the Trainz forum the same will happen over there. In less than 6 months we will have the same quantity of add-ons. One reason, a lot is already made for MSTS!!!

The only bad thing i see are the discussions like these. And not just between MSTS and Trainz fans but also among the MSTS fans. And that's bad for both communities. Over the last periode i found a large group of enthousiast leaving this forum and going somewhere else. And i don't like that :-(

André

>>You have MTS and your Very large {quantity of} Quality add ons..... and I (we) have Trainz and our small {quantity of} Quality add ons. :7
    >
    >Agreed.

Whilst you understandably find Hentis's faux pas amusing, let's not forget that MSTS has a more than a little head-start on Trainz which will take a while to catch up with. I'm happy to say that modellers are already coming up with some superbly realised examples so the future looks bright. I have also seen some imaginative larger layouts appearing that don't look like model railways, dispelling the myth that you can't make large routes with Trainz. Rest assured that both games will be well catered for in the custom content department.

I am not blindy partisan one way or the other in this debate having used MSTS extensively, but I do find my time is spent more and more using Auran's product. Although Trainz is new and therefore carries with it a little novelty, it does allow a certain 'liberty', lacking in MSTS, which some find refreshing. At this early stage Trainz does admittedly lack 'goal' style gameplay for people who want to drive prototype-like operations (that MSTS does do well). But Auran are already working on the next phase (Yardmaster) which should add this kind of functionality into Trainz. One could argue that Microsoft put all this functionality into MSTS so no add-ons are necessary, and to a certain extent that is true. But MSTS is a case of WYSIWYG and no developments or improvements can be realistically expected from MS in the near future except maybe a version 2 a couple of years down the line.

At the end of the day whichever approach or style of game you prefer, you will be a happy bunny in 2002. :)

TucsonCoyote Guest

Tucson Coyote here,

>Whilst you understandably find Hentis's faux
    >pas
    amusing, let's not forget
    >that MSTS has a more
    >than a little head-start on
    >Trainz which will take a
    >while to catch up with.

Ergo my example of MSTS Being "The Hare" and Trainz Being "The Tortoise"

>I'm happy to say that
    >modellers are already coming up
    >with some superbly realised examples
    >so the future looks bright.

The Future's so Bright you have to wear shades as I remember that Old Huey lewis Song...

>I have also seen some
    >imaginative larger layouts appearing that
    >don't look like model railways,
    >dispelling the myth that you
    >can't make large routes with
    >Trainz. Rest assured that both
    >games will be well catered
    >for in the custom content
    >department.

and with more modules to add such as Yardmaster, Dispatcher, and yes even Online Trainz... Well Let's just say Microsoft better be reading this message...

>
    >I am not blindy partisan one
    >way or the other in
    >this debate having used MSTS
    >extensively, but I do find
    >my time is spent more
    >and more using Auran's product.

I tend to use Aurun's Trainz a Lot more than I used to with MSTS... and I will just wait till the time is right to start downloading all the GOOD trainz Materials..

>Although Trainz is new and
    >therefore carries with it a
    >little novelty, it does allow
    >a certain 'liberty', lacking in
    >MSTS, which some find refreshing.

Frightening..> Try Down Right Terrorizing....MSTS Route tools are perhaps the Hardest item I have ever seen..(I even went out and plunked down an additional 15 dollars for a Strategy guide.. and even IT didn't help me set up a Route..(Trainz on the other hand is left to the imagination..(If it looks real then it is..)

>At this early stage Trainz
    >does admittedly lack 'goal' style
    >gameplay for people who want
    >to drive prototype-like operations (that
    >MSTS does do well). But
    >Auran are already working on
    >the next phase (Yardmaster) which
    >should add this kind of
    >functionality into Trainz.

Which probably will inculde realistic physics for cars and loco as with Yardmaster you will be able to create gravity "Hump" yards and probably will have the ability to refuel..(Heck already they have a Turntable... So why not a Working Diesel Fuel Point?? and a Sander??

One could
    >argue that Microsoft put all
    >this functionality into MSTS so
    >no add-ons are necessary, and
    >to a certain extent that
    >is true. But MSTS is
    >a case of WYSIWYG and
    >no developments or improvements can
    >be realistically expected from MS
    >in the near future except
    >maybe a version 2 a
    >couple of years down the
    >line.

We Hope... (But then again there is Flight simulator..)

>
    >At the end of the day
    >whichever approach or style of
    >game you prefer, you will
    >be a happy bunny in
    >2002. :)

BRAVO! I wholehaeartdly approve of what you stated here... Frankly The more technically advanced folks will probably stick to MSTS The less Technically Inclines will probably shift to trainz..(In short if you know how to create a computer network, then uses MSTS, But if you decid to be the average joe, well then Sped the 50 bucks on Trains..(After all Everyone will be happy one way or another..

Tucson Coyote

dgauci Guest

>I will just wait till the time is right to start downloading all the GOOD trainz Materials..

So I assume you are saying that all is available now is all the BAD trainz materials.

>Frankly The more technically advanced folks will probably stick to MSTS. The less Technically Inclines will probably shift to trainz.. (In short if you know how to create a computer network, then uses MSTS, But if you decide to be the average joe, well then Sped the 50 bucks on Trains..

The new Auran sales pitch, "MSTS for people with any brains, Trainz for the rest of you". Apple already used this slogan for their Macintosh advertising.

The crux of so many of these discussions, no one can be in the middle of the road, as so many Trainz advocates keep stating you HAVE to be either in one camp or the other. Why?

I personally think that both programs have their merits, and they are both going to stay on my HD for a very long time. Besides, comparing the two products is pointless, as each aim to acheive different goals than the other.

kenm62 Guest

>The Future's so Bright you have to wear shades as I remember that Old Huey lewis
    >Song...

"Huey Lewis"?
    Try, Timbuk 3
    ;-)

Ken Martello