Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trainz???

Default Trainz???

ok i have Microsoft Train Simulator, well my question is Simple since Train Sim allows the Use of Dem for Terrain Making is this possible in Trainz and if so is the Process the same, Simpler or harder

Default RE: Trainz???

It is very easy to use DEM data since it involves using greyscale bmp files that can be created from MicroDEM to generate the terrain. If you have a few (10-30) baseboards where the size of a baseboard is 720m x 720m, it is a pretty quick process. HOWEVER, if you are trying to do 50-100 baseboards, I think the process would be too tedious. Someone on this board is trying to write software similar to DEMEX that writes the DEM data to the baseboard in Trainz for a large number of baseboards. I do not know how far this project progressed.

ok then another question I see you using the term Baseboards so my guess is this is more or less on the Model aspect of trains? and if that's the case is Driving the trains any better then in msts, and also with msts you can only drive one train at a time at one given direction, is this different in Trainz?

im just trying to get a basic understanding of the game because i like Model Railroading and then again i like Train Sim if this sounds good enough to me then im going to get it and give it a shot

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-02 AT 11:21AM (EST)[/font][p]I'm with you Motley!
    Can you run MSTS models in TRAINZ? Or do we have to start all over? Are the frame rates better?

db

zorcan Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-02 AT 11:34AM (EST)[/font][p]TSTF has now acquired a Trainz interface. This is under test at present and should be available by the end of March.

TSTF allows you to create terrains from either DEM files and/or contour tracing.

Keep in touch with this Forum for the release date.

>I'm with you Motley! Can you run MSTS models in TRAINZ?

If you have source files in *.3ds format, they can be imported to 3ds Max/gMax and exported to Trainz file format.

>Are the frame rates better?

Generally there's more data in Trainz that needs to be processed, so no i don't think so. Personally i think it's fair price for better graphics, but obviously the "Trainz look" doesn't appeal to everyone. :)

Sweet.. That and a pretty trainz banner (look up top ) for the trainz forum too...

I declare this to be a good day :P

Catchya'

Well, i will certainly be watching :-)

Does TSTF have a website?

Just a note here: Trainz gives you a choice between running in Direct3D or OpenGL. I've been waiting for a railroad app that allows me to use OpenGL, here it is and it looks great.

Some of the guys have had problems installing and running Trainz, I am happy to say that isn't me. P3 1.0 Ghz, Gef3 64 meg DDR, WD 40 gig 7200 rpm HD, Santa Cruz sound card, it all works very well thus far. Graphics are really nice, aside from that perpetual mist in the distance, which we have to learn to live with.

Bulding layouts is a lot easier than anything I have seen in MSTS. There is a demo still available I believe on the GameSpot website, however it is 55.5 Megs and those with a dialup connection will think twice before tackling a file that size.

How do I like Trainz thus far? I love it!! Pretty decent frame rates too.

Bing

zorcan Guest

TSTF does not have a web site.

It will soon have a dedicated forum, hosted on uktrainsim.com

I will post here when this is launched