Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally set MSTS aside for a few minutes and started in on trainz

FeatherRiver Guest

Default Finally set MSTS aside for a few minutes and started in on trainz

First of all, doesn't seem to be as much activity here as the MSTS forums.

I like trainz. I had to tweak the config settings to avoid jerky action even though my machine is pretty much a screamer. But the program is rather fun and more like model railroading than the "get real" attitude and feel of MSTS. I'll likely be using this to create layout ideas for my garden railroad project in the planning stages.

The track laying is pathetically simple compared to msts in the surveyor. It's tricky getting used to the surveyor's interface but it is much easier than MSTS once you overcome the hurdles.

Default RE: Finally set MSTS aside for a few minutes and started in on trainz

[em]First of all, doesn't seem to be as much activity here as the MSTS forums. [/em]

:) probably because most people hang around at Auran's official forum at http://www.virtualtrainz.com

georgi55 Guest

About jerky running, on July 1st a Service Pack 3 will be released which promisses better perfoamance.
    The reason this forum is not active its because most of Trainz user are at http://www.auran.com/trainz/forum/index.php,
    where everybody is friendly, and Auran people who made Trainz hang out too.
    Georgi

Yah, I see how they promised better performance but they also said there should be about a 15% drop in fps due to the transparent windows and such... I have no idea how we are supposed to see a better performing game when we get a 15% drop in fps...?

Matt

AMD K6-2 @380mhz
    184mb RAM :-)
    Nvidia GeForce2 MX400 64mb :D !!!
    Windows XP Pro :-) !!!
    Playing MSTS AND Trainz... Yes Trainz!

LawrenceKellie Guest

>Yah, I see how they promised
    >better performance but they also
    >said there should be about
    >a 15% drop in fps
    >due to the transparent windows
    >and such... I have no
    >idea how we are supposed
    >to see a better performing
    >game when we get a
    >15% drop in fps...?

The 15% drop was NOT because of transparent windows. This is the sentence in which the 15% occurs: "Weve also tested consists as large as 3 locos and 200 items of rolling stock with just a 15% hit on the frame rate." It was the drop in frame rate with having very large consists.

Lawrence

LawrenceKellie Guest

>I like trainz. I had
    >to tweak the config settings
    >to avoid jerky action even
    >though my machine is pretty
    >much a screamer. But
    >the program is rather fun
    >and more like model railroading
    >than the "get real" attitude
    >and feel of MSTS.
    >I'll likely be using this
    >to create layout ideas for
    >my garden railroad project in
    >the planning stages.

You *will* see an improvement with SP3--well, you really should at least. I suspect that if you are not running an nVidia-chip video card, you may still have problems.

If you haven't already, you must check out this thread in the Trainz Forum of Auran's Website.

http://www.auran.com/trainz/forum/sh...threadid=11210

The information from Greg is very good and will clear up some possible misconceptions.

You are going to see, in the next several months (actually SP3 is just the start), Trainz really pushing to break the "model railroad" moniker that it has. Of course, that moniker was given to Trainz by Auran themselves! :O

>The track laying is pathetically simple
    >compared to msts in the
    >surveyor. It's tricky getting
    >used to the surveyor's interface
    >but it is much easier
    >than MSTS once you overcome
    >the hurdles.

Each software has its own tips and tricks to route development; and it really is unfair to compare the two. I created a route in MSTS that consisted of over 2,500 square miles of terraformed terrain, and over 430 miles of trackage. The amount if diskspace required for the route was nearly 2 GB! I did not find working in the route editor to be hard or difficult. There were a couple of "rules" that had to be followed, but other than that, I found it quite simple.

I am thinking of creating a "smaller" version of that route I mentioned above in Trainz; in fact, I have been exploring several options over the last several days.

Lawrence

FeatherRiver Guest

I'll check out the auran forum. Truth is I've had the thing installed for nearly two months but was too involved in MSTS to bother with it. I was also a little taken aback when I first ran it by the aforementioned jerkiness but just a few simple tweaks worked it all out. (P4-1.8/512DDRAM/GeForce2-64) the graphics are impressive.

aussierusti Guest

Hi There, I would be interested to know what you changed in the config, to stop the jerkiness.Thanks. :D Rusti

/me rubs eyes..

Mwuahahaha It seems Lawrence has turned to the trainz side !! Mwhuahauahaha..

There is no resistance.....!

hehe Catchya's

Lawrence:

I am glad to see you are into Trainz now. Have you looked into converting DEM data into displacement maps. I have had little luck in this area. Any ideas you may have would be appreciated.

Sam Schulenburg