Thread: Trainz Installation

Default Trainz Installation

I was wondering if there is a chance I could contact "sniper297." It's regarding my "Trainz," and I hear he knows quite a bit about "Trainz." I have been despirately looking for any sort of help, I can't play Trainz, uninstall Trainz, or reinstall Trainz. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

georgi55 Guest

Default RE: Trainz Installation

Hi. First of all, you will have to give us all info about your system. CPU, memory, video card, sound card, all the details you know about it.
    Second, I will suggest you to post at official Auran forum and get help. Official Trainz crew also participate on that forum,
    so you will either get help from them or someone else will be able to help you.
    Go to front page on auran and click on forums. You will need to register in order to be able to post.
    You will need to register anyway if you wanna download add-ons because from now one you will need to go to official website
    to download all the add-ons needed.
    http://www.auran.com/trainz/default.htm

Georgi

Errrr.... And as far as i know.. Jim 'Sniper' Ward.. Doesnt even own trainz.. let alone browse this part of the forums :)

Best to post at Auran.. Seems your having serious problems.

Catchya'

Someone told me Jim Ward was involved with Trainz oh well, anyway here is my system info:

DIM 4100 Series, Pentium 3 Processor at 866 MHz
    128MB SDRAM at 133MHz
    8x/4x/32x CD-RW, 2nd BAY
    19/48x MAX Variable CD ROM, NSND
    32MB NVIDIA TNT2 M64 APG GRAPHICS
    3.5,1.44, NBZL FD, XPS TXXX
    20.4GB 7200RPM ULTRA ATA, T/BXXX, WD
    WINDOWS MILLENNIUM (ME)

My guess is that when I was downloading the SP3 Patch, and some other little downloads from Auran Trainz Download Station, something must have gone wrong. Once I downloaded the SP3 Patch I tried installing it, but it wouldn't because I downloaded an SP3 Patch that upgraded from 1.1.2 to 3.1. My Trainz is a 1.1.1. When I tried playing Trainz there was an error that kept showing up, something about the "ikernel" file. I tried uninstalling Trainz but the InstallShield Wizard kept showing up and saying that it had "finished performing maintenance operations on Trainz." So I deleted Trainz myself, by deleting every file. Now when I try to install Trainz again the only thing it shows is the same thing ("finished performing maintenance operations on Trainz.")There is no way I can install Trainz. I don't want to purchase Trainz again or have to format my computer, that is the last thing I would like to do.

I do not know if it's my computer, or my Trainz CD-ROM, or if it's the InstallShield Wizard.

Thanks for replying on my question, and I hope this gives you a little insight on the problem I'm haveing. Thanks again.

Steve

Well my first thig to do would be :

Go to the start button, I think its 'setting' - 'control panel' for ME.. Then click on Add\Remove hardware.. Clean out trainz and anything to do with it ( Make sure you move any custom folders you would like saved.)

Then Open Windows Explorer and find the Auran folder displayed as Programs\Auran and delete the Auran folder.

I would then run "CleanDisk" found under "Start button\Accessories".. (Its probably not needed.. its just something i do) And then after I reboot.. I'd run "Disk Defragment" , again found under "Start button \ "Accessories" and see if that needs doing.. If so, I do so.

After another reboot.. Install Trainz from the disk.. And Download the 1.0 to 1.3 Patch 212mb (Found here http://www.auran.com/trainz/servicepacks.htm ) and install that. Or you could get the 1.1 to 1.3 Patch (Thats where its seems your problems began.. you had 1.1 and you used the 1.2 to 1.3 patch when you needed to use the 1.1 to 1.2 patch first :) )

If that works.. well done.. Then hold back and try not to install any custom content untill the new Custom Dispatcher 1.3 and Paintshed upgrade 1.3 come out...
    If you must install 3rd party stuff, Then email the creator for the correct KUID before installing it.. Doing this will just make things easier in the long run because as Trainz is now.. You can place Custom content in the old custom content directory and it will still work (Maybe).. But sooner or later .. Once Config files and KUIDs have been fixed.. Everthing will end up under the World\Custom folder... I Dunno if your like me but im waiting till then (Not too long now) :)

Hope that helps some...

Catchya

georgi55 Guest

>After another reboot.. Install Trainz from the disk.. And
    >Download the 1.0 to 1.3 Patch 212mb (Found here
    >http://www.auran.com/trainz/servicepacks.htm ) and install
    >that. Or you could get the 1.1 to 1.3 Patch (Thats where its
    >seems your problems began.. you had 1.1 and you used the 1.2
    >to 1.3 patch when you needed to use the 1.1 to 1.2 patch
    >first :) )

I believe he has the retail version like me which ships at 1.1.1 so he should only download 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 patch,
    install it, then instal 1.1.2 to 1.3 or download 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 like I did and save sometime when you are forced to reinstal Trainz.

From what Steve is saying, looks like he has exact same problem as I did in Medal of Honor. I think it's InstalShield problem, so try this.

First, go to Folder Option, Veiws, and select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" so that you can see all hidden folders.
    Next, go to following directory. Try Copy&Paste it to your expoloer and see if it takes you there.
    C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{F03D7004-F232-4B7A-A4A0-4B8FC118C4BD}
    If it doesnt, go to
    C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\,
    open each folder and double click on "Setup.ini"(you can open them with notpad) file untill you see something like this:

[Startup]
    FreeDiskSpace=0
    AppName=Trainz
    Engine=0
    Copy=1
    Source=0
    Languages
    Default=0x0009
    count=1
    key0=0x0009

When you find that one, go back to C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\ and delete that folder.
    Now try to reinstal Trainz again, downlaod and run 1.1.1 to 1.1.2, then run 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 and see if it works.
    (or download 1.0 to 1.1.2 if you ordered Trainz from their official website)

Hope this works for ya

I can't seem to find my InstallShield folder. I don't even think i have one. I'm doing what you guy's told me to do right now, but again there is no way I can remove Trainz from the "Control Panel,Add/Remove Programs. The same thing happens over and over again
    ("InstallShield Wizard has finished performing maintenance operations on Trainz.") It seems to me that my computer still thinks that maybe Trainz is still on the computer. So far I'm doing what you guy's have told me to do, besides (removing Trainz from "Add/Remove Programs" , and going under "Program Files" and InstallShield Information.

Thanks for keeping up with me.

Steve.

georgi55 Guest

Ya, I am aware of what happens when you try to remove Trainz. EXACTLY same thing happened to me with Medal of Honor,
    and deleteing the folder solved it.
    There is no way that you don't have InstalShiled folder on your computer. Did you try to enable settings so that you can see hidden folders?
    You can use windows search to find that folder too, after making hidden folders to show up.
    Just go to search, select search area to C:\Program Files and search for "nstallShield Installation Information"
    If that doesnt find it, try selecting only C:\ and see if that will find it.
    If that doesnt work, this time search for "layout.bin" and see if it will come up with smething.
    Either that, or formatign the C drive is the only solution Im aware of.
    You might wanna look/search for InstalShield website if they have one and look for info, or contact auran.

Sorry. I did find the "InstallShield" folder, which was under Program Files/Common Files/. But it does not have Installation Information. The InstallShield folder has three folders in it, and they are "Driver," "Engine," and "IScript." I've went under "Search," and nothing. I have no idea if I'm looking in the wrong place or if I'm just computer challenged.

Steve.

georgi55 Guest

Thats not the right folder, it should be C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\
    Are you sure you can see all hidden files and folders?