Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ - A view from the MSTS members

Default PLEASE READ - A view from the MSTS members

Hey all,

First off I don't play BVE. I tried Dave Reage's TTC subway route a few times and enjoyed it..

BUT !

Overall - No thanks. I like my " eye Candy "

Anyways. There is alot of posting in the other sections about what is " going on " down here in the BVE section.

I am seeing posts from a bunch of new people ( probably not new to BVE,) however new to this site - coming up and bashing the mods for not doing anything about your problems here.

I gotta tell you we have problems as well, and you guys are going about getting this dealt with ENTIRLY the wrong way.

First

Instead of threatening the entire BVE community that you will not complete / release a route until someone is banned...........now seriously who wins in that situation.........WAIT I KNOW.......the person that you are trying to get banned !!

Not only does this sound like a way that I dealt with things when I was 6 years old ( Basically the " I'm taking my toys and going home " situation ). The only person that will get any satisfaction out of this is the guy that is causing the problems.

Second

I know this may be a tough one as I generally will get into it with ANY troll in the MSTS section..................HOWEVER. If you guys stop responding to his EVERY single post .......eventually he will go away.

Third

Instead of openly bashing the " Lack of Moderation " on this site because no-one has rushed tou your aid this weekend.

You guys do realize it is Easter Weekend and there is a really good chance that the moderators could be away right ????

Anyways, instead of saying "Hey mods get down here and help !! " Why don't you amongst yourselves speak about maybe one of the well respected BVE members maybe talking to Nels / Brian about becoming a Mod for this particullar section?

Trust me they have enough day to day problems in the rest of the sections to have to start worrying about another

Anyways good luck down here !!

Later

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

Default RE: PLEASE READ - A view from the MSTS members

Yes, i feel there should be another mod for this forum. Maybe me...

>Yes, i feel there should be another mod for this forum.
    >Maybe me...

What about the original mod ideas? ;) ;) ;) :7

Only if Nels never bothered about our usernames, how much less chaos would there be....;-)

Shameless bump !!

Later

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

As a longtime MSTS user and having dabbled with Trainz, I thought I'd give BVE a try.

What I discover when I come to start looking for BVE forums and websites is that loads of them have been shut down, apparently due to the antics of one individual.

I thought this sort of petty squabbling only happened in railway preservation groups, which is one of the reasons I got out of that years ago.

Why do people have to respond in a manner that becomes an infant, rather than as already has been suggested simply ignoring these children.

The first impression that I get as a newcomer to BVE is that while there are lots of excellent routes out there, the western BVE community seems to be in danger of collapsing which is a shame.

Unfortunately first impressions often stick, and since my last encounter with BVE on Crotrainz about a year ago it all seems to have fallen apart.

[marquee direction = "right" scrollamount=3]
    [Link Expired]
    [/marquee]
    Al

Ok Tim,

Dunno why you made a shameless BUMP but here's something for ya to digest.

There is an underlying reason why Bve developers have such itchy fingers, and it's because their work is developed and presented as freeware, in keeping with the license and intent of the author of Bve, Mr. Mackoy. As a result, some unscrupulous individuals think it's ok to rip off parts of, or even complete sections from, routes/trains and not so much as a 'please' or 'thank-you' passes their lips. This has happened a number of times, and the only thing that keeps that developer onside is the support, coupled with some degree of determination not to be outdone by a rip-off idiot.

Given that developers are real people and have lives outside of their virtual railway, you might be able to appreciate the time, money and effort that goes into producing new material, if it's not got a restrictive license atached to it (which I despise) then there is always the risk that something will happen. It is more a human behaviour thing than a trains or software thing, everyone protects their own, so it's got nothing to do with 'I'm taking my toys home' it's more like 'I refuse to allow my material to be misappropriated'.

If you had felt this ever in your life, then ask yourself, 'what power do I really have to stop this idiot ripping me off and abusing my work and my friends' if the answer is 'nothing' then you do indeed have a problem. So we do the only thing we can, to close ranks and attempt to 'squeeze out' the abuser... it actually works if enough get into it.

Latly, I agree that I get extremely passionate and animated, but that's partly because I love what I do, and secondly because I will not stand by and see injustice or harm done to a friend.

Whether you make stuff for Bve or MSTS is irrelevant, we are all humans with human feelings, sometimes we get a nice tickle on the happy spot, others we get a kick in the balls, don't expect me to do any other-cheek stuff, I believe in confronting wrongdoers and taking them to task or getting them excluded from anywhere they can do damage.

If there's one thing threatening Bve products it's the poor security model, but that is being addressed, all my stuff is PGP-signed, try getting out of that!

p.s. If there's anyone doing some mod-bashing about this place, send them to me, that's not acceptable and I will act on any good information.

Ciao

Saxon Locomotive Works - "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer"

http://www.zodiac-infosystems.co.uk/rail/bve
    'Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana' ~Groucho Marx

>As a result, some
    >unscrupulous individuals think it's ok to rip off parts of,
    >or even complete sections from, routes/trains and not so
    >much as a 'please' or 'thank-you' passes their lips.

Then how come this doesn't happen in MSTS as much, although it has a far bigger community?

Because you can upload your work to a site that is not your own maybe? Think about BVETRAINS. Anthony started it off his own back, putting his time and money into it, it was a gamble and counld have been very messy.
    Personally, i think another mod would be good, so long as its someone like Wulf_9 who posts here everyday, and closes posts that are not good- he's good at doing that!

Maybe many people think that its easy to make a train, or now a route, and they get so excited about it, they do not ask permission.

I THINK THIS IS IT ---> Another reason, MSTS already has a set of objects, so anyone can make a route and not worry about Copyright issues.
    Maybe thats what BVE needs, but as someone put a while ago, when it was suggested, we will keep seeing the same objects used in different routes. This is true, but for novices, it will make things much easier.

I'm sort of working on a BVE object database but recent events have made me think twice.

It might get started up again, it might not.

Time will tell.

Tim Frost
    NVTA Subway routes for BVE:
    http://nvta.co.uk
    http://nvta.free-hosting.org.uk/imag...nvtaavatar.jpg