Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-boots on exit

Default Re-boots on exit

Hi guys

I am experiencing a problem with BVE4 that I didn't have with BVE2.

When exiting from the game, I always get a crash to reboot and when it comes back to desktop I get a message that Windows has recovered from a serious problem. This is a bit worrying. The game runs very well and is a big improvement over the BVE2 but.......

Default RE: Re-boots on exit

Your not the only one experiencing this problem. I get a blue screen then re-boots and then get the message 'Windows has recovered from a serious error'. Yes and the game runs fine.

Kind Regards

I get that aswell, although since I've turned of automatic re-boots it comes up with the blue screen of death. Go onto the control panel, then "system" and select the "advanced" tab. Then click "settings" for "startup and recover" (bottom one of the 3). In the second box (system failure) it has 3 check boxes. De-select the bottom one "automatic restart", and click ok. When you next play BVE, instead of restarting it will come up with the blue screen of death. Make a note of any interesting stuff from it (file names etc, not strange numbers) and post them. Also, what type of graphics card do you have, since the error is something to do with D3D. I take it it only occurs if you load a route, not if you just go to the startup screen and exit straight away?

Anyone else get this problem and if so, whats your specs?

Yep, a lot!

Check out http://tinyurl.com/6nvnq

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am also experiencing this problem with BVE 4.1. Funny thing, is that it hasn't always happened... it didn't happen when I first installed BVE 4.1, and the first 4 or 5 times after that I used it... it has only cropped up recently. Computer instantly restarts upon exit... well, sort of. It goes to the desktop, sits there for a second, then restarts. My specs are in my signature.

There seems to be a problem with GeForce card drivers you need to make sure you uninstall your old drivers and install the newest ones. If you have installed the newest ones you need to go back and uninstall them and any others then install the newest ones again.

Also just a reminder to everyone make sure to keep your video, sound and any other drivers that the hardware on your computer may require up to date. I wont go into what drivers do for your computer but I will tell you without them your hardware devices will not operate correctly and will likely have conflicts with newer software such as DirectX. Also yes I know Windows XP assigns drivers thatís fine to start with but for printers, sound cards, video cards and other expansion cards you need to get the correct drivers. Mice and keyboards aren't as important unless they have lots of special functions and extra buttons.

AL

I also had this problem, drivers are the key. The geforce drivers on the MS update are outdated for geforce cards. The geforce site has the latest, this cured the problem, and a couple of others, for me.

I guess I'll try that... odd though, I haven't had any other version of these drivers other than the latest (66.93)... installed them right after installation of Windows.

My video card is a NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 and I had the reboot/restored system problem randomly and only exiting from BVE 4.1 running at 1024x768 32 bit colors (about 1 time every 3): this using the ForceWare drivers version 66.93 (using standard Windows XP SP2 drivers I had a the "loud alien noise" with every route, other then Mackoy's Uchibo).

However I've installed now the latest ForceWare 71.84 (released about 10 days ago), and it seems that the problem has been solved. :-) :-) :-)

This is the direct link to the FTP download folder on NVidia site:
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/71.84/
    You have to download the correct file, according with your version of Windows.

Luigi Cartello
    http://bve.altervista.org/
    http://web.tiscali.it/lcartello/