Thread: Unreachable route?

Default Unreachable route?

According to the screenshots, there is one really nice Japanese route Yamashita Setagaya Line, first on the left coloumn. Route is very simillar to Tohoku Line, which you also can find there. Railway.exe is not big, less then 1MB, and covers objects, route and sound. Unfortunately, I can't extract route file, the error is reported. I managed to open the archive with IZArc, it recognizes .csv route file, but it can't
    open it or extract it. I've tried with Win Commander and LHA Melting, but they didn't even register .csv
    file. Who can help? Thx.

P.S. SITE LINK http://www.interone.jp/~tokyufan/Bve/

ROUTE LINK http://www.interone.jp/~tokyufan/Bve/Setagaya/index.htm (FIRST FILE, 718 KB)

Default RE: Unreachable route?

Download WinRAR from www.rarlabs.com -Opens & extracts any file that I throw at it totally fine :)
    Have tried it with this one, extracts etc fine, but the route file & folder name have Japanese characters in, & will need re-naming once extracted.

Chris Lees

On the other hand, if you use Windows XP follow the illustrations on this page ...

http://home.comcast.net/~kagamix2/xp...e_setting.html

Just put a tick in "Install Files For East Asian Languages"

and click, "Apply"

That should be enough for a Japanese .EXE file to work, plus WinZip will also extract it, (and any .ZIP file) correctly

Banzai !!!

John

Thanks both of you. WinRAR did the trick, and I installed those Asian patch. Route is really nice, not rich with objects but really nice textures.

Though, I have one more route that I can't open: updated Boyaful. Two of three install files are in GCA format, but I can't extract any csv files, only bmp's. Looks like same problems with Setagaya, but here and WinRAR fails. Suggestions?

here is link : http://boyatto.s26.xrea.com/bve/greenmat175.html

Victor,

It's this odd .GCA file that's causing the trouble

Try downloading this ...

http://www.emit.jp/dgca/dgca_e.html

You then should be able to extract them

John

I've tried and nothing. It reports "extraction process failed" error and stops extracting. It extract (object file) only .bmp's. Same error is reported with route file, but somehow I managed to extract 3 route files. I'm asking myself why people use those archives when today are so many wonderful free extracting tools. And that object file was made few months ago :(

Oh, what's a stupid! It seems to be a self-extract WinRar file, but when I click on exe file, error message appears and I unpack only some html file. If I use WinRar, select the Railway.exe to extract, all is fine. Oh my god, how we can recognize what's is self-extract file and what is classic installer exe file? :+ :-)

Most Japanese used to use the .LZH format as their default archiver, (In fact in Japan it was equal to .ZIP in terms of popularity in the west).

To be honest I wish the Japanese would have stuck with this format as it was easy to manipulate with LH Melting for all versions of Windows.

Recently though .ZIP files are beginning to replace .LZH as the de facto format in Japan. Unfortunatly Japanese .ZIP files are hard to manipulate in Windows 9X, though XP is OK. (at least in English versions).

Also Mackoy asked all BVE authors to use either .ZIP or an self excracting .EXE file to make it easier for non Japanese users to play Japanese BVE routes.

John

I hope they'll listen. I'm freeking out when I see GCA format (for example) :)

Still, besides authors of Hirakami and Mr. Mackoy does anyone of them knows that people outside of Japan are interested in their BVE routes? I have to be honest, I adore to digg thru Japanese sites because you really can spot some masterpieces that I think people don't know. Well, of course, there are some unbeliveably simple nad totally unimaginative routes, for instance 100km of straight two tracks line with only stations and standard catenary (which gives me creeps).