Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackside Signs

Default Trackside Signs

I'm in the process of making some trackside speed signs, based on some I saw last weekend... attached are two files, one being the .b3d file and one being the graphic (I think you will need to rename both files... this is the first time I've tried attaching things to postings.

My problem is, I'm not sure that I've got the scale of the sign correct. I've built it to stand 1.5m high.... is this about right? If anyone would like to try it in a test route, please do... any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards

eezpeazy

Default RE: Trackside Signs

Looking good EezyPeazy. By the way, see your PM.
    Cheers,

Doncaster, I apologise that we, United Kingdom.

Looks good - I might suggest a much deeper tone of yellow, though.

--
    Tom Beevers
    http://brj.rr.nu - Picc v5.2 Coming Soon

Thanks, Tom - didn't use Yellow, because the signs I saw and photographed weren't in yellow! The "sign" part was a silvery grey, the "pole" part blue - I've approximated these in the objects.

eezypeazy

OK, I've just got back in from cycling various bits of the Tyne Valley, and yes, I agree, I should put some yellow in, even if the first one I saw didn't have a speck of yellow paint on it!

Regards

eezypeazy

I make mine from a combination of things:

the shaft is a coded rectangle with the colour matched with the other bitmaps. The arrow and the number are all put in separately. Because the ECML still retains many LNER type signs I've decided that all i have to do to make a sign with say, an arrow on it or a different number is to simply copy and paste the relevant bits of code in. This method also allows more resolution on the numbers where the focus of the eyes will be. Also means I don't have to have as many large bitmaps in my object folder.

"http://tom.aparition.net/easternsim/images/sr.jpg"

Impressive screenshot... particularly liked the track, complete with pandrol clips... is this level of detail visible when driving, though?

Regards
    eezypeazy

Thanks, The track is at that level the entire route (i have some older textures still to replace over viaducts and some switches)I should also add the texture for the top of the rails is a photorealistic one given to me by shane roberts.
    although oddly i've noticed a phenomena where at 60mph and i think 120mph the track panels stop moving. It's something to do with the way that BVE renders objects no doubt

Hi Tom,

I've had another look at my trackside signs. I started by rebuilding one, using code for the shaft and the "triangle", and a bitmap for the number.... the result was visually just as good, but the size of the bitmap was halved, without reducing resolution.

Some months ago, I realised that there is a trade-off between bitmap size, resolution, and frame rate (game performance). I came across the idea of "optimising" routes elsewhere, and so I tried to start a discussion on one of the forums, which one or two people responded to.

It also struck me that there must be an optimal way of coding buildings and objects.... for example, a cubiod building might use a brick texture for, say, four walls. Is it best to define each face separately and load the texture bitmap four times, or define four faces then load the texture bitmap just once, or define adjacent faces and "stretch" the bitmap across them? And what effect does applying a bitmap a number of times (such as when making a wall) have on performance?

Do you, Tom, or anyone else who stumbles across this, have knowledge of any tutorial or other notes on coding routes for optimal performance?

Regards

eezypeazy

Doncaster, I apologise that we, United Kingdom.

or define four faces then load the texture bitmap just once,

Yes, this is possible. You define the four faces as one and load the texture onto the one face, although doing this increases the complexity - I've never managed it, although others have. Thinking about it, it shouldn't be too hard - stick all the vertices together, alter the values on the Face command, then copy and paste the texture code altering the values in the first column.

--
    Tom Beevers
    http://brj.rr.nu - Picc v5.2 Coming Soon