Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrain using hgt files.

Default Terrain using hgt files.

Has anybody made a route anyplace in north america specificly canada using the hgt files?
    I have a route about 85% finished in MSTS of the canadian pacific Railway when they pushed the rails over the great divide ,down the kicking horse and then over the selkirk mountains to Revelstoke.It is the CP mountain division. This is a period style route dated 1884,1885 following the original rail line down the 4.4% grade from the great divide to Fields,up over Muskeg Summit,on to Rogers Pass and down through the original Glacier track and then the Loops at Loop cr and then on to Revelstoke.I started the same route in rail simulator, hoping it might be better. In the MSTS route I used the dem files downloaded from the canadian govt site. In Rail Simulator I used the HGT file. I am very dissapointed the the hgt terrain. The terrain is not sharp and crisp like the dems.Meaning I see no indication of the many small creeks that or steep canyons that the track passes thru or over...In lower kicking horse canyon east of golden,in MSTS the canyon is very narrow ,just room for the tracks and the river. Terrain goes almost straight up from the roadbed,doesn't look like that using the hgt files.In some places the mountains look like big marshmellows piled up.Any thoughts on this...I have been trying to get an answer to see why we cant use the dems...

Default RE: Terrain using hgt files.

Sorry, I'm not sure what HGT files are, but, perhaps, did you obtain them from a poor source?

The HGT files are derived from Radarsat data. For the U.S. they're at a 10m resolution, roughly what is available in DEMs (Though DEMs can go down to about 3m if I remember right). HGT for the rest of the world is at 30m. That's disappointing because I have DEM data at 10m for much of BC that I don't know how to integrate into RS. I've looked high and low for conversion software that will take DEM data and output HGT format with no luck (I'm not trained in geomatics so I don't know how a lot of this stuff works).
    It would be nice if someone like John at Digital Rails could write a converter. It would be so much nicer to use 10m data.

The .hgt files are what the rail simulator uses to create terrain with.example N50W118.hgt The Dems are digital elevation maps that I downloaded from the canadian govt source. The hgt files come from the rail Simulator recomended site.They are SRTM data
    ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2

So far in my testing this is the best I've come up with for Canadian DEM in KRS. The image below is from GeoBase 092I06 (SRTM N50W122) and is in the Spences Bridge area of British Columbia. I've also been testing some GeoBase DEM for the Bayview area in Ontario.

EDIT: Added a second pic because it was so darn purdy! :P
    Ray

Now that is the sort of minimum scenery quality I expect from a Train Simulator and if RS can not provide it then perhaps MS-TRAINS-2 will ? ;-)

O t t o

P.S.: Set Mountains ( 00000001 ) in the *.trk file which might clear the distant haze ?

Those pics aren't far off. Not all of the Rockies are jagged cliffs.

>
    >Now that is the sort of minimum scenery quality I expect from
    >a Train Simulator and if RS can not provide it then
    >perhaps MS-TRAINS-2 will ? ;-)
    >
    >O t t o
    >
    >P.S.: Set Mountains ( 00000001 ) in the *.trk
    >file which might clear the distant haze ?
    >
    >

Hi Otto. Not sure I understand your post. Those shots are from KRS, not MSTS.
    Ray

Sorry, Ray, I missed reading the KRS in your post, getting used to it now being called RS, not being able to take my eyes of these pictures ! ;-)

You should post them in the RS Screenshots forum !

O t t o

That's beautiful. Now my question is, is that SRTM data in .hgt format or what DEM data do you mean? I understand that SRTM is essentially a type of DEM so that may be my confusion. My understanding is that the SRTM data available for BC is 30m resolution. If the images above are 30m then it might not be too bad.
    In addition, the SRTM data that I was able to find had lots of shadows and holes that I needed to 'repair'. I don't believe that I got my data from GeoBase so I'll have to look there. Did you have to fill the holes or did it come adjusted?