Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goderich Exeter Railway route in development

Default Goderich Exeter Railway route in development

Hello

I would like to announce that I am developing a MSTS model of a route in Southwestern Ontario operated by the shortline company Goderich Exeter Railway (Rail America).

The portions of line modelled are: Guelph Sub from London - Kitchener, Goderich Sub from Stratford - Goderich and Exeter Sub from Clinton - Centralia. The Guelph Sub is the former CN line from London to Georgetown which was leased in the late 1990s by RA. It still sees six VIA trains, as well as frame trains and detoured CN trains off the Niagara Corridor route in case of a derailment.

The Goderich Sub sees mainly salt trains servicing the mine at the harbour in Goderich, as well as plow trains during the winter. I have access to topographic maps for the whole route, so all buildings and vegatation will be more or less placed true to life. I have never actuallty seen the Goderich or Exeter subs so any information on the operational ideosyncrasies, track speeds, etc would be greatly appreciated.

As for progress to date, Track: 99.9% (Hey you never know!) Buildings: 90%, Vegetation: 15%. I should have the route released by September or October, depending on how much third year engineering is able to swamp me!

Default RE: Goderich Exeter Railway route in development

Got any pics?

Let me know if you need any rolling stock. I have a GP9 if you're interested.

Wow that looks really nice! Whos model of a GP9 is that?

Reid

That would be one of mine. It's just a work in progress for the time being. If I get enought interest I'll probably finish it off with all the engine files and lighting and all that it doesn't have yet.

Hey I'm from Kitchener... so my interest in the GEXR is obvious.
    Are you posting the GEXR route here in the library when it's done?

PS - how is the progress going?

Wow! That blew me outta my seat!

Any chance it could be modded to better fit a Wester Maryland Chop Nose GP9?

Cheers,

Jason Underwood
    Newport News, Virginia
    CSX Peninsula Sub MP.16
    [email protected]

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22.../BCR_400_R.gif

Depends on the specifics. I have several GP9s that I can modify depending on the configuration and my time. If you want a modified model it's not too hard to do but if you want the skinning and all the rest (physics, lighting etc.) it'll take much longer depending on the amount of your input. PM me and we can see what's what.

If you want to know stuff about the Goderich Sub i'm the guy your looking for. I grew up in Sarnia only and hour and a half away from Goderich but starting my railfan career and intrest in trains in Goderich in early september 1990 when i was only 2. I would spend my summer vacations with both of my grandparents from both sides of my family as my mom and dad were both born in Goderich. I would ride my bike around town mostly as it was such a small town and still is, I would chase the original 4 GEXR GP9's up the 4.0 grade hill to the ex-CN station where they would spend the day shunting cars before heading out to stratford. They would service four plants two of which belonging to the Sifto Salt mine, one a grain elevator and the other Champion Gradiors. I have seen many engines run along the Goderich Sub and slowly work there way to the scrap line in Goderich. I have only started taking pictures of trains over the last 3 years or so, so my collection of the GEXR roster is limited but my memories reach back to the days of when the railway was just created. If you need any info i'll try to get it for you as i will be heading up there this weekend possibly for the ex-champion now volvo family picinic and will try to get some info from a close friend who works on the GEXR in Goderich.

Jay, is Jon and the gang at GNR still working on the G&E diesel roster?