Thread: I need some help with.....

Default I need some help with.....

I'm trying to super detail some locomotives but I have a few problems. Can someone tell me how to get marker lights to turn on when the head lights are off, and shut off when the headlights turn on if it's possible? Is there a way to turn down the amount of exhaust a locomotive puts out? It's kinda bad when a SD80MAC is billowing smoke like an old Alco. A couple more things. Is there a way to have ditch lights blink, than be able to turn them onto continious? (like putting another notch in the headlight switch,) and lastly how do I add lights such as running board lights, stairwell lights etc.? Any help will be extremly appreciated. I'm kinda new to all of this stuff, and am asking others who have done some of these things for your help. thanks a million.

Default RE: I need some help with.....

All of that is possible, it was done on some repaints a while back and I played around with it once. While I forgot exactly how it's set up, I remember it wasn't extremely hard.

Hi CRQ5508

just follow the MSTS TechDocs (on your MSTS CDs). It's all a matter of using WordPad to edit the parameters in the .eng file of your locomotive to the specific values needed. You primarily want to have a look at the lighting section and the special effects section of the .eng file, using TechDoc "Eng_and_wag_file_reference_guidev2.doc" as your guideline.

Lukas a.k.a Swissie

I'm with Swissie, I honestly believe that the lighting docs on the disk are the very best and easiest to understand part of MSTS. Someone did a very good job with them. They actually make the lighting part of a project easy.

Well, actually also some of the other documents contain a wealth of information... I am just under the impression that not too many people are actually taking the time to read them (it's a rainy day well spent to do so, teaching you alot about the logic behind MSTS).

Lukas a.k.a Swissie

one other thing, is it possible to change the color of the exhaust from blue to black. I'm also detailing an old GP9, and have noticed that the smoke is more blue than black. any info would be highly appreciated. thanks.

I think there are a few replacement diesel smoke textures in the file library, as well as replacement steam smoke textures. Just search for "replacement smoke", it should bring up some of them. Instructions how to use them are in the readme. However, be advised that a change will affect all your diesels, as this is a "global" file.

Lukas a.k.a Swissie