Thread: spring switches

Default spring switches

The milwaukee road used spring switches set to eather the main or the silding, this let trains to make meets without having the train crew set the switches themself.

Default RE: spring switches

ok, so what's the purpose of your post? if you're looking for spring switches, they can't be done, to my knowledge.

NEED THESE SWITCH CONTROLS FOR MY CASCADE DIVISION OF THE MILWAUKEE.

Hi guys,

not quite clear if I understand the reason for the original post correctly - as the attached text file doesn't show. But I interpret it as question how a track layout using spring switches could be modelled in MSTS?

Closest thing to imitate a siding using spring switches would be to build the siding in an 'assymetrical' way. A standard, symmetrical siding uses for example a right hand switch at the East, and a left hand switch at the West end. The through track is the one that goes straight through both these switches.

With an assymetrical track layout, your siding would for example use a left hand switch both at the East and the West end. Any train approaching from the East or West would pass the entering switch via the default, straight path, but the Westbound train would end up on the Northern track, while the oncoming train would end-up on the neighbouring Southern track. When leaving the siding, each of the trains would have to exit its track through the diverging path of the switch at the far end. Hope it doesn't sound confusing...

Lukas a.k.a Swissie